Question for 2019 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdentistplshelp

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently planning on taking the DAT in late June/July of 2019, from what I hear it's a huge hit to your chances of being accepted if you apply late. Two questions: Could I send in my application to schools and then send my DAT score after I take it, would that make a difference than sending both when I receive my DAT score? And what is considered "applying late"?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say an early application is anywhere between late July to when the application opens. I would say a late application is late August and onward. Your application is incomplete until the DAT score is verified through AADSAS, so to my understanding if you send an application without your DAT score it won't be looked at by the admissions committee until it is complete with the score.

I would recommend that you take the DAT sooner than late June.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently planning on taking the DAT in late June/July of 2019, from what I hear it's a huge hit to your chances of being accepted if you apply late. Two questions: Could I send in my application to schools and then send my DAT score after I take it, would that make a difference than sending both when I receive my DAT score? And what is considered "applying late"?

Generally, you want to apply during the J months, so June and July. “Late” imo would be after interviews have already been sent out so around September/October.

However, your situation is different. You can and should submit your entire application (minus your DAT) as early as possible. That way, schools are looking at you and making “what if” scenarios for when your DAT scores are posted. They say they don’t look at your application until your scores come in but it’s not true. I’ve had friends apply without DAT’s, sent them the unofficial scores on the day they took it, and they got an interview invite before the official scores were even posted.

This is not considered “late” at all and the people who do this get interviews and acceptances over people who don’t even submit until September, October, etc. It’s not optimal, but fairly common and definitely doable. For example, my friend submitted his application in June and took his dat August 15th. It posted two weeks after that, and he got 7 interviews and 5 acceptances. The key here was they had a stellar app. If your app needs work then don’t rush it. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
you definitely want to request your transcripts right away, this process takes the longest
like the previous poster said, you can fax/email your unofficial scores you get from the testing center and some schools will start to consider you
others will wait for the official score, but at least everything else will be complete

Submit app ASAP. you never know, you might need a couple extra weeks for dat prep, and as it has already been said, transcript verification takes a week or 2.