Question for Canadian Students!

Started by pierogi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pierogi

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone!

I am just curious, for Canadian students, if you were admitted to both SCCO and UW, which one would you choose to attend and why?

Thanks!
 
I didn't apply for SCCO, but I am Canadian!

I got accepted to PCO. I am choosing PCO over UW because frankly, I want to move away from Canada for a bit since I plan to settle down in Canada, but I just explore the world a bit. PCO might not be located in NYC or Chicago or Boston-like city (still waiting for NECO and ICO), but I figured I could travel (if I have time) around the states. I also talked to a few Canadian PCO students and they are quite happy there. Also, my boss (an opto) he strongly recommended I go to the states over UW instead for curriculum reasons though he didn't specify what specific issues when I asked him to write my recommendation letter (and he kind of hinted he would prefer that I go to the states if I wanted to come back to become an associate for him when I graduate - so a possibility of a little future job security was a factor). He might also be biased cause he went to the states for school though.

But my main reason is that I feel like I would get more exposure to different ocular diseases during clinic hours in the states since their health care / insurance plans are not as comprehensive (or more expensive) as Canadian ones. I feel like this exposure will give me more confidence when I graduate and start practising since I would have seen certain ocular conditions before hand. Also from what I hear between my friends at UW and PCO and NECO, the two american schools start clinic much earlier than UW. I feel that clinic experience is super important, because in essence that is what you are studying to do. I know if you go UW, you can do externships in the states. I applied to the states cause I figured UW would be too competitive.