Question for current buffalo students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

will7678

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to start this fall at UB and I had a few questions about my P1 year that I was hoping a current student might be able to answer. I am sure that I will get answers to these during orientation but who wants to wait that long :laugh:.

1. We need to register for an all school conference twice a week for all school events that are scheduled periodically. I know this probably varies alot but can anyone give me an idea of how often these time slots are actually used? Almost 100% of the time? Less than half? Also how much advance notice do they give you so you can plan on doing something else during that time if there is nothing going on? Will you know weeks in advance or day of?

2. IPPE hours. We register for a two hour time slot but the packet says that the two hours before that are for observation and the actual two hours we register is for a class. It doesn't seem like you would have much time to actually observe anything during a two hour time period or does this whole 4 hour block end up switching between class time one week and maybe an observation the next week? Also how structured are the observations? As in do we the students go out and schedule them or does the school basically just tell us where to be and when?

Thanks to anyone who may have some inside information as a current UB student.

Members don't see this ad.

I am about to start this fall at UB and I had a few questions about my P1 year that I was hoping a current student might be able to answer. I am sure that I will get answers to these during orientation but who wants to wait that long :laugh:.

1. We need to register for an all school conference twice a week for all school events that are scheduled periodically. I know this probably varies alot but can anyone give me an idea of how often these time slots are actually used? Almost 100% of the time? Less than half? Also how much advance notice do they give you so you can plan on doing something else during that time if there is nothing going on? Will you know weeks in advance or day of?

2. IPPE hours. We register for a two hour time slot but the packet says that the two hours before that are for observation and the actual two hours we register is for a class. It doesn't seem like you would have much time to actually observe anything during a two hour time period or does this whole 4 hour block end up switching between class time one week and maybe an observation the next week? Also how structured are the observations? As in do we the students go out and schedule them or does the school basically just tell us where to be and when?

I've been messaging/emailing current students I saw on the class of 2014 Facebook group. They're all really helpful and really enthusiastic about the school.

During your P1 year, you're at All-School quite often (~75% of the time). You'll have the schedule for almost the whole year at the beginning of the semester, but things can (and do) get penciled in later on. I wouldn't bank on being able to plan things more than a week or so in advance for your empty slots.

The two hour time slot is for a lecture component of the IPPE curriculum, not actual completion of the IPPEs. The system is somewhat confusing, and has changed since I've done it, so I'll leave that to Dr. Brody to explain during orientation. Trust me, the less you hear about it now the happier you'll be.

See you in the fall!

Thanks for the replies! I will just make sure not to plan on having free time for studying or anything else during all school time. The IPPE system does seem confusing but I figure with only 50 hours to complete the first year it shouldn't be that bad no matter how crazy the system turns out to be.