Question for current MD/PhD students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Chiquita

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to accelerate the PhD part of your program? For example, if you have a master's degree in the field that you want to continue doing research, would the program count this? Thanks in advance. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Also, another question. Does it hurt to apply to both MD and MD/PhD programs? Would they be able to find out and work that against you?

I'm not a very strong applicant for MD/PhD, so I would like to apply to both (so I can at least secure my spot at MD program). It's not a question of my being sneaky or anything. Maybe it is. :confused:

I say don't go MD/PhD unless you *truly* intend to have a research/academic ambition. If you want to be a doc to be super rich practicing CT surgeon, then I say you are wasting 3 or 4 precious years of your life just to have extra letters by ur name.
BTW, im tez's dad, so i speak from my vast experience of being an obnoxious prick.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would use your prior Master's experience to excel in your PhD. There's a reason why you hear the phrase "publish or perish". You might be able to shave some time off, but I'm talking less than a year, any more will not benefit you. Your PhD is a time to learn how to deal with unsolvable problems-- value that time. As for the application procedure, that's a tough one. I would say generally it is not a disadvantage to apply to the MD PHD program, so this fear should not stop you. Although it may be school dependent and you may want to investigate the procedures for application review in the schools you're interested in. But for many, you're just checking a box for MD PHD and getting supplemental forms. Good luck.
Joe

Apply to both, there is no official bias against you for this. The only problem (and it's largely theoretical) would be if the MSTP held your app. until the end, decided against you, and it was then too late for MD admissions consideration. Very remote, but I know it has happened.

Your MS will help in that you should get up to speed quicker in a lab. You'll get one year of grad classes "forgiven" at most schools anyway, so it won't do much more for you. What will make your PhD quicker is getting your reqs done as early as you can, finding your thesis lab and getting going. If you then actually show up and WORK at it, you can usually get out quickly (no 3 hour grad student style lunches/gym breaks etc. - note: this is a generalization/stereotype, so please don't flame with "grad students work hard" posts... I'm just making a point).

P

BigRedPingpong, did they take your signature away?! :laugh:

oh well, i'd say the spite value of the avatar goes pretty far, anyway. by the way, who the hell is that in the picture?

Originally posted by Primate
Apply to both, there is no official bias against you for this. The only problem (and it's largely theoretical) would be if the MSTP held your app. until the end, decided against you, and it was then too late for MD admissions consideration. Very remote, but I know it has happened.P

A very real concern. I am in this situation with several schools--app was held by MD/PhD and now that they've decided not to interview me, I highly doubt I will get an interview this late from the medical school.

Originally posted by superdevil
BigRedPingpong, did they take your signature away?! :laugh:

oh well, i'd say the spite value of the avatar goes pretty far, anyway. by the way, who the hell is that in the picture?

Yup, the certain person went and secretly PMed a mod. "Waaaaaa! Waaaaa! mommy, I can't handle big kids calling me names."

Do you like my avatar? Cool huh?

isn't it robert smith, the lead singer of the cure?