Question for Current Scholl Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pod2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm very excited to say that I will be part of Scholl's class of 2015. After mulling over DMU and Scholl I feel that I have made the right choice for me.

I am from the Chicago area and my cousin lives in downtown Chicago, actually right by the Metra stop off by Clybourne in Lincoln Park. I was planning on living downtown and commuting via the train and RFUMS shuttle system (which probably would be an hour commute). However, I have heard that a huge percentage of students live on campus or right next door at an apartment complex called Woodlands of Green Bay or something like that. I have heard most of the students who live downtown are 3rd and 4th year students. I am concerned about living downtown now and I am wondering if you have experiences with this commute, especially 1st/2nd year students. Is this a bad idea? Any information and input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

you might get a better number of responses by joining the facebook page and asking the question directly there. the name of the page is:
Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine Class of 2015
Good Luck

I agree with Ankle Breaker in that you should definitely consider living as close to campus as possible. I'm a P1 student who lives in the on-campus student housing and I can't tell you how many times its been great to just walk across the parking lot to get to school. Especially during the brutal winter months where its extremely cold and there is lots of snow. Traveling or commuting in that kind of weather is not only a pain in the butt but also dangerous. Like Ankle Breaker stated above as well, Scholl does not move exams that often. Relying on public transportation would be pretty risky during bad weather. There have been a good amount of P1 students who have had to take the essay make up exams and from what I've gathered it has not been a fun experience.

Pod2015, I'm a current Scholl ambassador and would love to be of more assistance to you. If you would like to speak more depth about this living situation feel free to PM me.

Join our the 2015 facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_166662066706516&ap=1

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't totally agree with the other posts here. I do think living close to campus has its perks: its convenient and you are able to come and go as you please when you can walk home. I do think living downtown will be a hassle, but it also has its perks as well.

But as far as using public transportation and missing exams goes, honestly, look up the number of times the metra is cancelled or even off schedule. Its rare. The RFUMS shuttle is always going to be there to because a number of students are dependent on that shuttle and the school knows that. If thats not running, the school won't be either and you won't have a test. Its also not dangerous driving a car is more dangerous. I live at the woodlands and its nice to be close but I'm contemplating moving downtown as well. Wait for a few more responses or ask somewhere else as well so you get a few more responses.

Live as close to campus as possible. Your grades will thank you. Move downtown halfway through the 3rd year for the core rotations and electives.

Just thinking about the time spent commuting to and from the city, whether car or metra, then planning your life around the Rfums shuttle. Vomit. gives me the chills.

You need to be as close to campus as possible for easy access to the anatomy lab. Access to professors outside of class, access to books you wont have (and shouldnt buy), access to events held after hours, events that happen on the weekends, and the list goes on. Move down to the city and youll never find yourself at school for anything but class.

and like what was mentioned earlier, a majority of the friends you make at scholl and at the other colleges are going to be living nearby. So it might be cool to be closer to them.

just one guys opinion.

I'm not "recommending" it but I'm not going to sit here and say its impossible. I know several students who commute 20-30 minutes from the surrounding suburbs and theres also a handful who commute from downtown.

Thanks alot for the input everyone. Sounds about right based on what I was thinking, I already knew its was going to be somewhat of a pain to commute. I'm just trying to figure out the opportunity cost since my rent would be free downtown.

I'm from Chicago and I know that North Chicago isn't the greatest place to live. I needed to hear both sides though which is great.