QUESTION for Current UNC Med Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IDontKnow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey:

I was wondering if any of you applied after taking the MCAT in August for the first time and getting admitted for the next fall. For instance, MCAT August 05 and starting school Fall 2006?

When did you get your secondaries?
Residency (IN/OUT STATE)?

Also, do you guys know what is a competitive score for In-State students

PLEASE RESPOND!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey.

In-state MS I here. I took the MCAT in August '05 and (stupidly) didn't even send my primary in until mid-October.

Got my secondary right at the end of the fall semester, filled it out in a couple of days, but didn't interview until mid-February.

I'd say a competitive MCAT score is 32+ with at least a 10 in every section. However, applying late puts you at a considerable disadvantage. I would call a 34 "competitive" for an August MCATer, but that's just a wild guess that depends on a slew of other factors. MCAT scores aren't a hot topic of conversation when the application process is behind you.

The best thing you can do to improve your chances of getting in is to keep in contact with your faculty interviewer and periodically reaffirm your interest/intent of enrolling should they extend an offer. I think it was key for myself and a few of my classmates who got in late, some from the waitlist.

Carolina Med is absolutely awesome. :luck: for this cycle.