question for everyone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, quick question

Most P.A. programs in CA require you to have a minimum 3.0 overal and science GPA. I have a good science GPA at 3.8, however my overall is only 2.8. Will this hurt my chances of getting in. I have a lot of pretty good clinical experience. ( worked in a hospital as a phlebotomist for the past year and a half) and research as well.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

check with the schools you're interested in. some schools are pretty firm and don't even look at applications where GPAs are less than 3.0. it all depends on the program and may look more at healthcare experience. for you, you may want to consider more clinical experience than phlebotomy. i did some phlebotomy too back in my day but spending 2 minutes to draw blood isn't always accepted as direct, hands on care with clinical decision making. if you can, get some experience as an EMT, paramedic, CNA, or patient care tech.

melcal said:
check with the schools you're interested in. some schools are pretty firm and don't even look at applications where GPAs are less than 3.0. it all depends on the program and may look more at healthcare experience. for you, you may want to consider more clinical experience than phlebotomy. i did some phlebotomy too back in my day but spending 2 minutes to draw blood isn't always accepted as direct, hands on care with clinical decision making. if you can, get some experience as an EMT, paramedic, CNA, or patient care tech.
agree with melcal. many programs may not consider phlebotomy as clinical experience as it is fairly limited in scope . take a few more classes and do well in them and that would boost your gpa over 3.0
take an emt or medical asst class to get a bit more experience.