Question for flight docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I got absolutely rammed up the *** by the Army in the match and am simply trying to make the best of my situation.

Do tell. You might want to expand on this for the benefit of us all. Conventional wisdom is that the vast majority of people will train straight through in the Army. Perhaps that is not true?

Members don't see this ad :)
Bomberdoc, I'm a big fan of yours, have read all of your posts. ANY ADVICE, PLEASE. GMObound

Thanks, brother.

The waiver will be a piece of cake. Being color vision deficient isn't a big deal for most pilots so it certainly won't be a big deal for a doc. One of my guys is a 3000+ hour instructor pilot who recently failed his color vision test. He told me that he memorized the PIP book for UPT and was never tested again. This guy knows the location of every circuit breaker and switch in the cockpit with his eyes closed. I would trust my life to him anytime in the air. I wrote a waiver and he is now indefinitely cleared. You'll get a waiver without any problem at all. Welcome to the SUCK. You'll probably end up flying helos which are pretty fun. I have a bunch of hours in the UH-1N. Let me know how things go. Yes, a Flight Surgeon is the only person who can do a flight physical.

If waivering isn't possible my thinking is this- when I report for my transitional maybe I could meet a sympathetic colleague or get my hands on the PIP plates (being the military I'm guessing they're standardized) and just memorize 'em.

You can fake the PIP through memorizing, but you can't bull**it the Farnsworth D-15.

If this was the AF, you would be given a categorical waiver, limiting you to which aircraft you could fly in. I am color-blind myself and am limited to Tanker, Transport, and Bombers (i.e. No "high performance" aircraft or high G)

It "should" be the same in the Army, but I don't know. At least in the AF, initial flying class physicals can only be given by Flight Surgeons.