Question for IMG Attendings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muqalia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is for those who went to the Caribbean, matched and are now practicing.
After everything you went through, would you in all honesty do it again?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a bit of a loaded question. Why? Because, for those of us who were successful, there is an inherent "confirmation bias" in our answer.

I would instead answer you socractically:

1) Are you prepared to work in an environment of increasing responsibility with decreasing reimbursement?
2) Are you ready to be in debt >$200k?
3) Are you ready to work longer hours with less patient contact and for less pay?
4) Are you comfortable practicing in a multidisciplinary environment where you don't necessarily call all the shots (i.e., there are pharmacists, nurses, dieticians, administrators, etc. making treatment decisions)?
5) Have you thought about what will happen if a patient accuses you of malpractice?

These are all real things. There is stuff you cannot possibly fathom right now that will happen to you... despite your best efforts to navigate and control your career.

So, the answer is: only you can answer that!

-Skip

P.S. If you choose to be a doctor - and succeed - you will quickly learn how to appropriately answer the question from a patient "what would you do if you were me?", which is essentially what you're asking here.

Last edited:
Well there is a lot of people I have come across who would no go thorugh med school again despite being successful. Their reasons are the same as the ones that you listed above. I was just curious as to see what others on here thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Is it to satisfy some family pressure to succeed and "make something of yourself"? Whoa... that's probably the worst motivation."

Good point.

This question is for those who went to the Caribbean, matched and are now practicing.
After everything you went through, would you in all honesty do it again?

ImageUploadedBySDN1472866299.237529.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app