• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

yu241093

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I have a friend who is over 30

She asked me to ask a question on this thread for her

she did her computer engineering with me at University A and got 2.3
but she really wanted to go to dental school after realizing she made a mistake and did her Occupational Major at other unversity finished with 3.7
so both combined she go avg of cGPA of 3.0 with sGPA 3.32

Does she have a chance? she also asked me to ask for how well she need to do on her DAT (by the way she's international)

E.C.: hmm... she developed medical devices, and rest I don't know.

thx

ummjoey

10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
her gpa is a bit low, but i dont think its terrible. she is doing better than a lot of people.

a lot of people ask what they should get on the dat and my answer is always as high as possible? i think that is common sense? the higher the dat the higher the chances are?

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Her GPA is a bit low but regardless of where she stands, has she taken any prereqs? Has she taken any prereqs at a foreign university? Is her degree from a foreign university?

I agree with ummjoey she is in better situation than a lot of people. It sounds like she has a good trend of improvement. :thumbup:

About the Ads

yu241093

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
She did both in US
and yes she did her pre-requisites with sGPA 3.32

so what shall I tell her?

Saddleshoes

10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Tell her it's time to grow up, get out of school, enter the real world and get a job. Forget dental school.

Sorry to be so harsh, but the truth is the truth.

Hysteria24

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I have a friend who is over 30

She asked me to ask a question on this thread for her

I don’t understand these questions about “my friend wants to know.” If he/she is really that dedicated, why isn’t he/she the one creating an account and asking the questions?

a lot of people ask what they should get on the dat and my answer is always as high as possible?

I agree with this one. If you give them a range, it’s not like they can hit a point in their studying and say ok, that’s enough to get me that score. I can understand this question after a person takes the DAT and is looking to see if a retake is necessary.

Tell her it's time to grow up, get out of school, enter the real world and get a job. Forget dental school.

Ouch! I hope you are not serious.

Dan3223

Temple bound :)
10+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2006
Philadelphia
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student

That is hardly constructive advice.... nor correct advice. It's funny how you used 'time to grow up' .... I think you should take some of your own advice.

Tell your friend just to do the best they can on the DAT. A good DAT score will get them some interviews.... and a good personality and good interview can get an acceptance.

yu241093

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Well

I believed that she worked for a long time and she did her 2nd university major while she was working.

so basically she is from real world and believe that she's still working

and I told her that dramatic upward trend from 2.3 to 3.7 will for sure that will interest Dental school interviewee with high DAT and working experiences

What do you guys think?

p.s.: she really didn't want others to know so I posted it and beside I know she's scare and shy. I know I said my friend wants to know but I posted without her permission. Well I don't think I am lying.
If it was my situation why should I lie? Nobody knowns real me. I can just post it. Because I am telling truth. Thx

SugarNaCl

Dental Student
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Akron, OH
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
It will likely count as if it were all just her undergrad GPA. Unless it is high enough to make the cut off, people won't even know she went to 2 different schools for 8 years or whatever. The first part of the game is numbers...and its lumped uGPA (as long as it's undergrad which matters more than grad) no matter how many institutions you attended.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
She did both in US
and yes she did her pre-requisites with sGPA 3.32

so what shall I tell her?

Tell her to kick but on the DAT. That GPA with DAT scores of 20+ will give her a good chance of getting in. If it doesn't pan out a masters is the option to consider.

yu241093

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
It will likely count as if it were all just her undergrad GPA. Unless it is high enough to make the cut off, people won't even know she went to 2 different schools for 8 years or whatever. The first part of the game is numbers...and its lumped uGPA (as long as it's undergrad which matters more than grad) no matter how many institutions you attended.

What do you mean high enough to make a cut off?
And I don't know if she transfered any credit to show on trascript since I don't know exact details.

So are you saying just tell her to apply with one degree not with 2 degree? But this will be academic dishonesty. What does she gonna say on the interview if interviewee asks.

Well she's also considering doing her master while she's working if she doesn't get in.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.