Question for PA's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

julester

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy all...
I am a math teacher :sleep: considering a change into medicine. Ultimately I would like to be a PA, but I understand that experience is key for acceptance into a program (and understanding of it). Would I be wasting my time by first becoming an RN, scoping the field for a couple of years and gaining experience before going back to school or would this experience be helpful and worth the time? Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

No, I don't think it would be waste of time; I think that's a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a high school science teacher for 18 years before applying to PA school (Gannon University) in Erie Pa. Because I had a MEd, I entered in the professional phase and will have completed the program in 2 years. OK, so I was an EMT instructor for 5 years as well which probably helped with admissions. I'd suggest contacting various schools and try to apply ASAP. Use the RN route as a plan B.

julester said:
Howdy all...
I am a math teacher :sleep: considering a change into medicine. Ultimately I would like to be a PA, but I understand that experience is key for acceptance into a program (and understanding of it). Would I be wasting my time by first becoming an RN, scoping the field for a couple of years and gaining experience before going back to school or would this experience be helpful and worth the time? Any advice would be appreciated.

Nursing would work, but it's not the only choice. If I were in your situation, I would keep my job and persue training as an EMT and work on an ambulance assisting for a while. I wouldn't go through the process to become an RN and take out more student loans only to pack up and head to PA school in the end. Do what is right for you!!! L.

I would tend to try something "shorter" than RN for you. I would actually like the math teacher experience if I were interviewing you, but some medical experience is needed. You could do the EMT thing and still teach. Keep in mind, EMT's make MUCH less than teachers.
I did the RN thing too, but only because I was half way through it before I made up my mind. I was an EMT in an ER and think it was better experience for me for PA than the RN was.
Good Luck,
Pat

RN experience would be great, but its an awfully long road to take to get the medical experience you need for PA school. I advocate the EMT route, much shorter time to get, relevant decision making experience and advanced courses available if you want to learn and do more.

Besides, do you really want to wear one of those archaic all white nurses uniforms with the zip-up top and butterfly collar? Egads man! :D

julester said:
Howdy all...

I'm in PA school with virtually NO prior healthcare experience. If you feel uneasy about starting PA school without this experience then get an EMT cert. I'm actually taking EMT-B while in PA school, sounds silly but I'm aiming for emergency medicine as a PA and I want to be a good canadidate for it upon graduation. I do think the RN thing would be a bit of a waste of time. If you are willing to search for schools like mine that are willing to train you from scratch with no experience, there are QUITE a few non healthcare career switchers in my program (accouting, business, you name it) , you also might need to be willing to relocate depending on what's available in your state.

Also, your GPA, don't sweat it as long as you've got a 3.0+, that's not enough to get you into most PA schools but if you really want to goto PA school and will go anywhere, you will get in somewhere.