Question for people with colonoscopy experience

Started by asdfaa
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

asdfaa

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was watching an infomercial today. I wasn't overly impressed but it brought up something that seemed really odd to me. The mercial was for a product called "the almighty cleanse". Your supposed to spend a week clearing out your colon. No thanks. Not interested. But what was odd is that they claim that most people have a layer of hard crud coating their colons that "cause disease". They even showed photos of this crud. It was black and tar-like. Really disgusting looking. Described by the narrator as being "tough and rubbery like a garden hose". I saw pictures like that a few years ago in a spam email - maybe it was for the same product. But my question for people who've used a colonoscope is: Does this stuff exist? Do people really have a layer of tough, tar-like goo coating their colons? Thanks.
 
asdfaa said:
I was watching an infomercial today. I wasn't overly impressed but it brought up something that seemed really odd to me. The mercial was for a product called "the almighty cleanse". Your supposed to spend a week clearing out your colon. No thanks. Not interested. But what was odd is that they claim that most people have a layer of hard crud coating their colons that "cause disease". They even showed photos of this crud. It was black and tar-like. Really disgusting looking. Described by the narrator as being "tough and rubbery like a garden hose". I saw pictures like that a few years ago in a spam email - maybe it was for the same product. But my question for people who've used a colonoscope is: Does this stuff exist? Do people really have a layer of tough, tar-like goo coating their colons? Thanks.


Simply put, no. There is nothing that a good colonoscopy prep cannot clean out in 1 or 2 days. Even our VA patients who are bedridden, on chronic bowel slowing narcotics, with spinal cord disease, and with long redundant colons can get clean as a whistle.
 
asdfaa said:
I was watching an infomercial today. I wasn't overly impressed but it brought up something that seemed really odd to me. The mercial was for a product called "the almighty cleanse". Your supposed to spend a week clearing out your colon. No thanks. Not interested. But what was odd is that they claim that most people have a layer of hard crud coating their colons that "cause disease". They even showed photos of this crud. It was black and tar-like. Really disgusting looking. Described by the narrator as being "tough and rubbery like a garden hose". I saw pictures like that a few years ago in a spam email - maybe it was for the same product. But my question for people who've used a colonoscope is: Does this stuff exist? Do people really have a layer of tough, tar-like goo coating their colons? Thanks.
It's a load of crap.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks guys. That what I thought.


If it was true, I figured it would have been mentioned somewhere down the line in medschool.
 
bariume said:
Simply put, no. There is nothing that a good colonoscopy prep cannot clean out in 1 or 2 days. Even our VA patients who are bedridden, on chronic bowel slowing narcotics, with spinal cord disease, and with long redundant colons can get clean as a whistle.

So does this mean that there is something in there? I mean, I know what you are saying about being able to get rid of it with the colonoscopy prep, but there is a "layer" on your colon. Also, do patients that eat more fiber than others have less of a "layer." Maybe you don't even know if there is or not since the colonoscopy prep can remove, but I thought I'd ask 🙄