Question for people with colonoscopy experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdfaa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was watching an infomercial today. I wasn't overly impressed but it brought up something that seemed really odd to me. The mercial was for a product called "the almighty cleanse". Your supposed to spend a week clearing out your colon. No thanks. Not interested. But what was odd is that they claim that most people have a layer of hard crud coating their colons that "cause disease". They even showed photos of this crud. It was black and tar-like. Really disgusting looking. Described by the narrator as being "tough and rubbery like a garden hose". I saw pictures like that a few years ago in a spam email - maybe it was for the same product. But my question for people who've used a colonoscope is: Does this stuff exist? Do people really have a layer of tough, tar-like goo coating their colons? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

asdfaa said:
I was watching an infomercial today. I wasn't overly impressed but it brought up something that seemed really odd to me. The mercial was for a product called "the almighty cleanse". Your supposed to spend a week clearing out your colon. No thanks. Not interested. But what was odd is that they claim that most people have a layer of hard crud coating their colons that "cause disease". They even showed photos of this crud. It was black and tar-like. Really disgusting looking. Described by the narrator as being "tough and rubbery like a garden hose". I saw pictures like that a few years ago in a spam email - maybe it was for the same product. But my question for people who've used a colonoscope is: Does this stuff exist? Do people really have a layer of tough, tar-like goo coating their colons? Thanks.

Simply put, no. There is nothing that a good colonoscopy prep cannot clean out in 1 or 2 days. Even our VA patients who are bedridden, on chronic bowel slowing narcotics, with spinal cord disease, and with long redundant colons can get clean as a whistle.

asdfaa said:
It's a load of crap.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. That what I thought.

If it was true, I figured it would have been mentioned somewhere down the line in medschool.

I agree with the other posters.. Almighty Cleanse isn't a great product at all, read this Almighty Cleanse review.

bariume said:
Simply put, no. There is nothing that a good colonoscopy prep cannot clean out in 1 or 2 days. Even our VA patients who are bedridden, on chronic bowel slowing narcotics, with spinal cord disease, and with long redundant colons can get clean as a whistle.

So does this mean that there is something in there? I mean, I know what you are saying about being able to get rid of it with the colonoscopy prep, but there is a "layer" on your colon. Also, do patients that eat more fiber than others have less of a "layer." Maybe you don't even know if there is or not since the colonoscopy prep can remove, but I thought I'd ask :rolleyes: