Question for Reapplicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PxThree

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's getting down to the end of the application process and I haven't received an acceptance from any schools, and I have a good feeling I might not this year. I was wondering for those who reapplied and got in the second time, what did you do to improve and get accepted? As of now my stats are below. I am planning on retaking three C's that I received in English, Stats, and Gen. Chem. over the summer which should improve my pre-rq GPA to above 3.0 and then reapplying next year . What were your stats the first time and then the second time you applied? Also where did you apply? Thanks.

Cumm. GPA (Computer Science) ~ 2.85
Pre-Req GPA~2.85
OAT AA: 320
OAT TS:330

Members don't see this ad.

PxThree said:
It's getting down to the end of the application process and I haven't received an acceptance from any schools, and I have a good feeling I might not this year. I was wondering for those who reapplied and got in the second time, what did you do to improve and get accepted? As of now my stats are below. I am planning on retaking three C's that I received in English, Stats, and Gen. Chem. over the summer which should improve my pre-rq GPA to above 3.0 and then reapplying next year . What were your stats the first time and then the second time you applied? Also where did you apply? Thanks.

Pre-Req GPA~2.85
Try to improve your OAT score too. 2.85 is pretty low. u should raise it up to 3.1 at least

PxThree said:

Pre-Req GPA~2.85

Where did you apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a reapplicant, but just wanted to add my input. First, will the school allow your to retake a class that you got a "C" in? I know UCLA doesn't allow it for impacted classes, and possibly the same applies to any general ed class. A "C" is a passing grade -- once you've passed an impacted class, that's it, you cannot repeat it.

I would focus on the OAT for one thing, that's one place where you can definitely prove your GPA wrong if it's a little low. Another thing I would do is try to gain more experience in the field...if you're not already, work at an optometrist's office. Also try to visit and shadow doctors in a VARIETY of optometric settings (private practice, group practice, VA, etc.) Try to do the things that will make you a more well rounded applicant.

Just my two cents.

ODra said:
Where did you apply to?

I applied to ICO (interviewed there), SCCO, and NECO. My school lets us retake a grade of "C" as long as you get the appropriate signatures. I am not working at an optometrist's office but have shadowed various doctors in different methods of practice for about a total of 70 hours. I've taken the OAT twice and got the same score both times. Another thing I guess is if I don't or can't retake the Cs I guess I could take a couple upper level classes such as Biochem and Pysiology, would that help also?

PxThree said:

Pre-Req GPA~2.85

Px,
this year was my 2nd time applying.
The first go-around I was 3.0 GPA and 290 OAT. I was offered interviews at SCCO and Pacific, but decided to take a year off after graduation from college (a very refreshing and satisfying decision!...i'm still in my year off now).

Second application process I was 3.1 GPA and 300 OAT...accepted to SCCO and Pacific. Also, I applied to Berkeley, but they are basically ignoring my emails and I haven't heard anything from them the whole time. BUT, I think what really helped me getting accepted was working in an eye clinic. I worked there for 6 months and learned so much...and I let the people interviewing me know all about it. That experience is what really allowed me to have an advantage over other applicants. I already know the basics of refraction, tension applanation (eye pressure), visual fields, cataracts, and much more. It helps you to develop a personality with patients too.

My advice is to only re-take the classes that are prereqs for optometry schools that are NOT ACCEPTABLE. For example: I got a C- in a general chem class. Pacific lets me know that a "C-" is no good, and I must retake it. So, I had to retake the gen chem class three years after I took it the first time. that was it. I had C's in a few other classes, but since they were not "C-"s, I didn't retake them. Second, get a job at an eye clinic and let them know that you want to go to optometry school. The OAT is a bitch, but I think if you are determined to take it again, you could surely do better. Lastly, extra curricular activities are always a plus.
hope this helps!

PxThree said:

Pre-Req GPA~2.85

Hey Px,

I am not a reapplicant but i know one thing that helped me tremendously is that I am a volunteer vision screener with an organization called Prevent Blindness America. They give you training so that you become a certified screener and then through them I set appointments with multiple preschools around the area for screenings, mainly making sure we catch amblyopia. If we do find any problems then we refer them to an optometrist or an opthalmologist. There are also adult screenings that you can do at senior centers but I preferred going to the preschools.

You should definitely consider this if you have some time to put into it.
Their website is www.preventblindness.org.

Goodluck! :)

You should call up the school that you applied to but didn't get in and tell them you are planning to reapply. Then ask them what you can do to make yourself a better candidate. If you live close to the school you should set up an appointment with the dean of admissions, if possible, to discuss your plans for reapplying, especially what you will be/have been doing since you originally applied. Take Note: They will give you pointers on what to do to make yourself a stronger candidate. YOU SHOULD WRITE IT DOWN and do everything they tell you that you need to improve on. It also looks good that you have taken the initiative to improve your application by meeting with the admissions staff. If you made a great impression on the person you may have gotten yourself a vote when the time comes for the admissions committee to decide on your application. Good Luck!!

PxThree said:
I applied to ICO (interviewed there), SCCO, and NECO. My school lets us retake a grade of "C" as long as you get the appropriate signatures. I am not working at an optometrist's office but have shadowed various doctors in different methods of practice for about a total of 70 hours. I've taken the OAT twice and got the same score both times. Another thing I guess is if I don't or can't retake the Cs I guess I could take a couple upper level classes such as Biochem and Pysiology, would that help also?
Be careful and be smart on what u do. Those advanced Biochem and physiology classes are hard. Are u sure it can raise up ur gpa? or can it lower ur gpa?

PxThree said:

Pre-Req GPA~2.85

I basically went through the same situation as yourself. I applied to ICO, SCCO and NECO and interviewed at ICO but was put on the waiting list. I found, in my opinion, it's harder to get in as a re-applicant as you really have to make sure you beef up your GPA. I couldn't do so as I had a well-paying job that was taking care of the last of my student loans from my undergrad and so decided to NOT upgrade my GPA. Besides, like my worst grades were in hard courses that I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get a high enough GPA. Basically you want to strengthen the rest of your application. -volunteer as much as you can ANYWHERE ( even if it is not related to opt. (better if it is) but make sure it is related to DEALING WITH people), tell them you are a people person and you genuinely have an interest to help and provide healthcare to people. I did that and reworded my personal statement - showing my qualities as communicator, people person, etc. etc. rather than an academic and then applied again the next year at new schools as well as other schools I had applied to previously. I was given an interview at a fresh school (IU). Once you get the interview, then it's your time to shine.

If you feel you can Ace those course, by all means, retake it but also immerse yourself in other volunteer opportunities - than reword your personal statment to show how you're grown over the last year and in what capacity

Hope that helps !

Just keep at it, you're almost there !!!!

Px,

This is my second year applying and things have started to look better...here's my story in a nutshell:

My first application year (entering class of 2004):

Focus: Biology/Sociology (Double Major)
CUM GPA: 2.87
OAT AA: 310
OAT TS: 290
Applied to: SCO, PAC, UAB, IU
Interviews: NONE! :(

My second application year (entering class of 2005)

Status: Graduate Student (currently enrolled in a M.S. program)
Focus: Applied Biology
CUM GPA: 4.0 (actually 4.11 due to +/- system, but reported as 4.0
OAT AA: 290 (yes, it actually went down) :eek:
OAT TS: 270
Applied to: UMSL, IU, PAC
Interviews: UMSL :thumbup: (at least someone wants to see me)
Decline letters: None yet! :)

Major applicaton differences:

When I didn't get in last year I called the advisor that I felt most comfortable chatting with (IU) and she basically gave me an earfull of information about what the admissions committee didn't like about my applicaton, and what I could do about it. They told me to:

Take more science classes, not necessarily retaking what I had problems with in the past, just taking anything that was "hard core science" (I questioned her about applying for an MBA as the knowledge would be practical post-OD school). She said, "the admissions committee sees anything that is not hard core/traditional science as fluff. Remember, these are science-minded people who are on the board." - I thought that was really great information.

If I could get into a graduate program, that would look better than just taking random classes.

Make sure that I could improve my GPA.

Retake the OAT (although I didn't do that well the 2nd time).

More about me:

I believe that they told me these things because my appliction was super strong concerning extracurricular optometry-specific actitivties, and had a lot of leadership roles...just not that strong academically. Their biggest concern was that I got a "D" in BioChm the fall semester of my senior year. They said "the committee doesn't like to see you flop in a major science course that close to graduation, it makes them question your ability in optometry curriculum". I understood where they were coming from, and, truth be told, I had no business taking BioChm after barely eeking by in O-Chm with C's in lecture.

PxThree said:

Pre-Req GPA~2.85

I used to talk to the dean at my school and what he told me is that since there are so many good/strong candidates, you need to make yourself stand out. Sounds simple, right??

What he said was that, there are usually 3 areas he will consider. You either have a very strong GPA, Awesome OAT or many & unique experiences.

Your GPA is on the low side and will be hard to bring it up a lot but that is OK.
Try to get OAT around 350 or above. It can be done.. There is a skill involved with taking standardized test so practice and retake it.
Volunteer or work with health care providers related to Eye care. Even if you are just involved in filing patient charts, you will be given a higher consideration due to your eagerness to be in the environment.

My best friend in OPT school had 2.64 GPA but 400 overall OAT score. He had 400 sciences, 390 math, 380 verbal and overall came up as 400. He received interviews at every school he had applied to. :)

Tasteestuff said:
I used to talk to the dean at my school and what he told me is that since there are so many good/strong candidates, you need to make yourself stand out. Sounds simple, right??

What he said was that, there are usually 3 areas he will consider. You either have a very strong GPA, Awesome OAT or many & unique experiences.

Your GPA is on the low side and will be hard to bring it up a lot but that is OK.
Try to get OAT around 350 or above. It can be done.. There is a skill involved with taking standardized test so practice and retake it.
Volunteer or work with health care providers related to Eye care. Even if you are just involved in filing patient charts, you will be given a higher consideration due to your eagerness to be in the environment.

My best friend in OPT school had 2.64 GPA but 400 overall OAT score. He had 400 sciences, 390 math, 380 verbal and overall came up as 400. He received interviews at every school he had applied to. :)

I am curious......what school did your friend attend?

nimujm13 said:
I am curious......what school did your friend attend?

He had interviews at SUNY, NECO, PCO, ICO and SCO. He went to PCO

I messed up. Sorry.. His undergrad GPA was 2.84 and not 2.64

Tasteestuff said:

Wow, is your friend just one of those people who can turn it on any time they can? Was he lazy for the better part of his academic career and then just turned it on the last second and studied his ass off for the oat?

Tasteestuff said:

did he get into all the schools he applied to? why did he choose pco if you don't mind my asking...

jeelane said:
did he get into all the schools he applied to? why did he choose pco if you don't mind my asking...

He was waitlisted at SUNY, ICO and SCO. Had a horrible interview at NECO and accepted at PCO. He chose PCO because, listen to this... "He really REALLY liked the student lounge." Oh my.... I think he chose PCO because he did not want to be disappointed from other schools.

I think it was very difficult for him (being waitlisted) .. Horrible waiting game.. :thumbdown: