Question for Texas applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aggie-master

Scrub
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am only going to apply at the San Antonio school and maybe the Houston school for the 2006 cycle.

Should I be applying through http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/ or https://aadsas.adea.org/aadsas2006/?

Do those schools have a preference of where we should go to apply and are the applications any different?

I started filling out an application on AADSAS yesterday, but if I am supposed to do it through the TEXAS MEDICAL & DENTAL SCHOOLS APPLICATION SERVICE then I can easily start entering my information through them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Most applicants apply through TMDSAS and if you are only applying to Texas schools I would recommend that. However, as long as you have Texas residency it really shouldn't matter. Also, I'd strongly suggest applying to at least 2 Texas schools if that's where you want to stay. Let me know if you have any questions about the Texas schools. I'm finishing up at Houston, so I know more about it, but SA is also a great program.

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll apply using TMDSAS now.

I want to apply at the Houston school too, but I work more than 40 hours a week and it will be really hard to fit the BioChemistry requirement in before matriculation in 2006.

I may just apply and then if I get offered admission I can quit my job and find some place to take BioChemistry in Summer 1 of 2006.

I planned on quitting my job only a week or so before orientation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a good idea. Why not apply to Baylor? I can't remember if they require biochem or not. Several of my friends took biochem the summer before they entered so that shouldn't be a problem. I'd suggest taking off some more time in the summer anyway if you can.

If you are a Texas resident, you must go through TMDSAS.

You may as well apply to Baylor as well. It cant hurt.

DDSSlave said:
Sounds like a good idea. Why not apply to Baylor? I can't remember if they require biochem or not. Several of my friends took biochem the summer before they entered so that shouldn't be a problem. I'd suggest taking off some more time in the summer anyway if you can.

I want to be closer to my family and I don't like Dallas very much. If I don't get in to either of my top two choices this year (San Antonio or Houston), then I'll apply at about 10 different schools next year.

For this cycle, I'm just going to focus on getting into either Houston or San Antonio. I have fairly good grades at this point so I think I have a decent shot at getting an offer of admission if I do well on the DAT.

aggie-master said:
I want to be closer to my family and I don't like Dallas very much. If I don't get in to either of my top two choices this year (San Antonio or Houston), then I'll apply at about 10 different schools next year.

For this cycle, I'm just going to focus on getting into either Houston or San Antonio. I have fairly good grades at this point so I think I have a decent shot at getting an offer of admission if I do well on the DAT.

Good luck with that! your really limiting your self by only applying to two schools.

hockeydentist said:
Good luck with that! your really limiting your self by only applying to two schools.

i agree.

if youre going to apply to 10 different schools if u dont get in houston or san antonio, why not just go ahead and apply to all of them at once, that way ull get in somewhere. and if u dont get in san antonio or houston, you would save an extra year and some application fees. i think this would be a good idea to save yourself some time and money.

jhui said:
i agree.

if youre going to apply to 10 different schools if u dont get in houston or san antonio, why not just go ahead and apply to all of them at once, that way ull get in somewhere. and if u dont get in san antonio or houston, you would save an extra year and some application fees. i think this would be a good idea to save yourself some time and money.

Agreed. Its pointless to apply to 2 schools now and 10 next year. Just apply to all of them now. Why waste a year?

Do what you want, but there is no harm in applying to more schools now. Keep your options open.

Just use the tmdsas. If your stats are great enough, then go ahead and apply to only San Antonio. But i seriously agree with the other users. You should definitely apply to Baylor too. If i remember correctly, it cost an extra 10 dollars or so.

aggie-master said:
I am only going to apply at the San Antonio school and maybe the Houston school for the 2006 cycle.

Should I be applying through http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/ or https://aadsas.adea.org/aadsas2006/?

Do those schools have a preference of where we should go to apply and are the applications any different?

I started filling out an application on AADSAS yesterday, but if I am supposed to do it through the TEXAS MEDICAL & DENTAL SCHOOLS APPLICATION SERVICE then I can easily start entering my information through them.

Any help would be appreciated.

I've got a few more questions.

B. Receipt of application fee in the correct amount: __________
C. Receipt of the correct number of photos:

On the tmdsas site, I can't find what I'm supposed to pay and any requirements for how many photos I'm supposed to submit, what size they should be, and what the photo should be of (head shot???).

Please help.

I want to send this in today, if possible.