Question for the Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gregory Gulick

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you applying, please check me on this. There is currently NO way to import last year's AACOMAS application into this years application, is there? I'm helping a friend reapply and I certainly didn't see any feature like this available. If anyone knows anything different, please let me know.

Take care.

ggulick.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, Greg.

Unfortunately (and I've confirmed this with a gentleman at AACOMAS's ABC dept.) there is no way to either 1) load in a previous application or 2) merely cut (from the old app) and paste into the current app. I found this a bit frustrating, as I had to make some changes to my 2000 app and had to retype my grades. Oh well... They -did- say that they'll be making changes to the software; hopefully future applicants will have it a little bit easier.

Nevertheless, I think that the program -is- very good in that typing the whole app (manually, on paper) would be a BEAR. Also, it calculates your GPAs automatically, which is helpful. I also believe that using ABC speeds up your application processing greatly.

Another note: I found a bug in the software (which was confirmed by AACOMAS): watch out if you have courses from which you've withdrawn ('W'). The program will use the credits for the 'W' courses in your GPA calculations, thus dropping your GPA(!). My solution was to:
1) type in all my grades, but leave the credit fields blank (or put a '0' (zero)) for the withdrawn courses
2) go to the Main Menu, select "Print Reports", choose "GPA calculations", and print out your GPA's as they -should- be (i.e. correct, without the "W-credit bug")
3) go -back- and put in the correct credit hours for all your withdrawn courses.
4) staple an explanatory note to the front of your AACOMAS application, explaining that your GPAs as printed are incorrect, and list your correct GPAs on the note. Also let them know on your note that there is a known bug in the software.

AACOMAS was fine with this, and correctly reported my GPAs to my schools.

Hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by Paul's Boutique (edited August 09, 1999).]

About the bug: I just left my credit hours blank, and it was fine. No note was necessary, or at least I was lucky because AACOMAS sent mine off without a hitch.