Question for the older more experienced high schoolers

Started by taechris
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

taechris

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a sophomore, I have been thinking about what to undergrad major in. I thought... I like Biology & Chemistry so should I major in Bio and minor in Chem. Opinions please!
 
Major in what you want, if you're interested in it you're more likely to make a higher grade. I'm personally planning on majoring in sociology.
 
Ditto. & a minor isn't really worth much, so don't stress about not having one and just taking some extra CHEM classes as electives if you still want to at that point in time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Minors are definitely not worth it unless you actually have a strong interest in the subject. For example, if you love the sciences as choose a Biochemistry major, but you want to keep in touch with your love for playing the violin, then a music minor or something of that sort would be something to look into. But, it will be more work on top of an impressive premed workload so I would only get a minor if you really like the subject so that it doesn't seem like extra work.

As for major, try to find something that you really like. You don't need to know yet, so you shouldn't feel stressed about knowing what you want to major in.
 
As a sophomore, I have been thinking about what to undergrad major in. I thought... I like Biology & Chemistry so should I major in Bio and minor in Chem. Opinions please!


Don't major in that, it's so typical.


But, if that's really your interest go for it. If deep down it's not, pick any major you want. Admissions get bored with the typical bio major...

all they want to see is the pre-med reqs and upper-level science courses, regardless of the major
 
As a sophomore, I have been thinking about what to undergrad major in. I thought... I like Biology & Chemistry so should I major in Bio and minor in Chem. Opinions please!

Just know that a major in Bio is practically useless for anything but going to graduate school. Yes, there are some jobs out there at could be gotten with just a BS in Biology, but few and far between. I'd say switch it around and go for a Chem major with Bio minor. Not sure what your plans are for the future, but a Chemistry major sets you up extremely well for various job opportunities if you don't choose to further your education past undergrad.
 
Just know that a major in Bio is practically useless for anything but going to graduate school. Yes, there are some jobs out there at could be gotten with just a BS in Biology, but few and far between. I'd say switch it around and go for a Chem major with Bio minor. Not sure what your plans are for the future, but a Chemistry major sets you up extremely well for various job opportunities if you don't choose to further your education past undergrad.

If we're talking about marketability for JOBS post-graduation, then I'll agree that biology is a useless major - but so is chemistry, biochemistry, and just about any other science degree and all humanities, unless you go to a baller undergrad. For medical school, the consensus, as others have stated, is that it doesn't really matter.

If you want a job, the ones that come to mind: any engineering, finance, accounting, or mathematics. Engineering is usually the best because you can either get a nice engineering job, or break into the business world because they see engineers as critical thinkers (unfortunately they don't feel the same for us science majors).

However, this is from a straight job landing perspective. You should major in what you like, otherwise it will be a relatively miserable four years. Things will work themselves out if you do it right.
 
I'm thinking of majoring in cognitive science. Its like a combo of psychology and neuroscience. I think ill have more fun in that than biology. Do whatever u want just make sure u do all pre med prereqs
 
If we're talking about marketability for JOBS post-graduation, then I'll agree that biology is a useless major - but so is chemistry, biochemistry, and just about any other science degree and all humanities, unless you go to a baller undergrad. For medical school, the consensus, as others have stated, is that it doesn't really matter.

If you want a job, the ones that come to mind: any engineering, finance, accounting, or mathematics. Engineering is usually the best because you can either get a nice engineering job, or break into the business world because they see engineers as critical thinkers (unfortunately they don't feel the same for us science majors).

However, this is from a straight job landing perspective. You should major in what you like, otherwise it will be a relatively miserable four years. Things will work themselves out if you do it right.

Yeah I agree with you for the most part. Engineering is really the undergrad money maker, that and food science, if you can find a university that has that program. I guess I've just seen a lot of jobs locally for chem majors with only a BS. They are of course entry level, but still making ~50k a year. I can attribute that to being in close proximity to Dow Chemical and Dow Corning though.
 
To make it easy on yourself if you're thinking med or dental, bio or chem are the easiest because by the time you've done the prereqs for the grad school you've almost got the undergrad degree! However, others are correct in stating that it doesn't really matter what your major is as long as the schools see your prereqs!
 
Major in what you are interested in, because you will most likely do better if you enjoy what you do.

Lucky for you, you say you enjoy Bio and Chem, meaning that a major in that would contain pretty much all Pre-med Pre-reqs. Two birds with one stone, Ole!