Question for those of you with MCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdg222

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you feel after the test versus the score you actually received? Did anyone think they didn't do well, but turned out ok? Did anyone think they performed well but received worse scores than they had hoped?

I just took this beast, and don't think I performed nearly as well as I did on the practice tests, but then again that seems to be the concensus among people who took the same form. Thanks for your input!!

Members don't see this ad.

Try not to worry about the test anymore. You got what you got. Worrying will not change things. Your question really won't help things either because there will always be people who think they rocked it but didn't and there will always be people who think they crashed and burned but actually do pretty well and there will always be people who score up to their potential. Furthermore, even if you want to argue that the majority of the test takers fall into one of those categories, it doesn't necessarily mean you will fall into the same category. Each person will be different.

So enjoy life for now. Worry about the scores when you get them. It is difficult, I know. But MCATs are over...don't waste your time worrying about them til you get your scores. Have a beer! :)

I could be wrong butI've gotten the impression the last couple months that on the MCAT it matters most that you do decently well. After that, a couple of points here or there don't do much for you. (This is just my impression, and I don't know much.!)

If you do stellar, it seems that helps big-time. If you do badly, ouch. And if you do ok, then you're in the ball-park and the rest will have to take you from there. So best to chill now, there will be plenty later to stress over.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought i failed it and got a very good score. But thats generally the way i am. When i think i fail something i do well, and when i think i aced it i get dissapointed.

There was a forum on examkrackerz that had the form of the exams and you can compare answers and stuff. I spent a lot of time doing that and talking with peopel with teh same form for months discussing the answers. I was amazed at how many questions i remembered.

Yeah, you all are right. Thanks for the responses. It's just so hard to relax...ahhh, but this should help (opens fridge and takes out icy cold beverage).

I thought I'd bombed the bio portion (I hadn't taken a single bio class before taking the MCAT, just self-studied), but my scores turned out very good. Put it out of your head for now.

Originally posted by sacrament
I thought I'd bombed the bio portion (I hadn't taken a single bio class before taking the MCAT, just self-studied), but my scores turned out very good. Put it out of your head for now.

I had the same experience. Prior to the MCAT, I was only completing my second bio class since my freshman year in high school (>7 years ago at that time). I called my parents when I got home from the exam and told them that I honestly thought I just bombed the bio section and wish I would had cancelled my scores. Everything turned out fine, and I ended up with a bio score >10. Don't worry about it now... Your studying will pay off in a few months, you'll see! :)

I took the MCAT last August...when I took the test I felt like the physical section was really easy and the bio section was pretty hard....I ended up getting 11s in all sections which I was very happy about. I guess that it all goes to show you that how you feel really doesnt indicate what your score will be since I got the same score in a section I thought I rocked and one that I thought kicked my butt. Regardless...you should definitely stop thinking about it...your scores are what they are and it does you no good to worry about it. I know that's easier said than done... Good luck with everything!!!

did any of you guys who thought they bombed but actually did well take the test in aug?

Originally posted by AMMD
did any of you guys who thought they bombed but actually did well take the test in aug?

I took it last august and I felt really bad about it. I thought I was going to get -2 or so from my average, instead I got +1 from my average.

Just remember, if you think the test is hard, other people will to. The scoring is completely relative, so take solace in that.

Originally posted by AMMD

i thought i majorly bombed the mcat, particularly the bio section. i couldn't really read at that point, so i was thinking i got a 4 or 5. as soon as i got in the car i started crying b/c i knew it was really really bad. it turned out ok in the end -- not good, but better than completely bombing (i got 9's).
try not to think about it. there's really no way you can predict what your score is going to be. if you felt mentally alert during the test and like you did your best, you will probably end up getting what you did in practice or a little better.

I took it in August and knew I was way off. It turned out I HAD scored one (P and V) to two points(Biol) lower than my practice on every section. But what I was trying to say above is I don't think my MCAT score has figured that heavily into things. When you are caught up in the MCAT practicing, it seems like every point counts, but I don't believe that any more. I think there are thresholds, and it's just a matter of succeeding into a certain range. For example, I brought up reasons for my actual/usual score at my one true Ivy League interview and the person acted like I was neurotic and missing the point of all the real reasons why they might not take me.

After the test, I drank wine . . . . lots and lots of wine. Sparkling wine, german reisling, white burgundy, a nice Chateau Neuf du pape, more sparkling . . . .

My favorite chef (and fiance) just kept sending the courses out of the kitchen with wine pairings. And when I was finished, I went to bed and didn't think about that d*mn*d test until October when I got my scores.

It all turned out - and I got to eat one of the best meals of my life. ;)

Really - who does feel good after sitting in the same chair for six hours scouring the brain of all information and (hopefully) regurgitating it up in the correct order? Relax. Wait to see the results before hitting the panic button.

i have to agree with everyone telling you not to obsess about your score right now. easier said then done, but try to not think about the test for the next few weeks. your brain needs a much deserved break!

Congrats on finishing that beast of a test :clap:

-curlyq

I left the test feeling like the verbal and bio sections were easier than I expected, which I assumed obviously meant that I got overconfident and answered them all wrong. My actual score was 6 points higher than what I got on all the practices I ever did. Gotta love the adrenaline rush! When I got my scores, they were pretty much what I expected for physics and verbal, and surprisingly good for bio. So, you never know.

I agree witht the original poster about how do you feel and scores going up and down or whatever. I was told at Kaplan that your scores could go up OR down by three points - you never know.

But I also agree with other people that these are just scores and I just came from re-reading Iola's Thread about Under 30 MCAT Scores and Interviews/Acceptances. Wow! That's alot of people.

When I crammed thru two months of study last summer (ok, really dumb I know now ... ) my practice tests were coming in at 26-28 with TPR. On the real thing I was fried and not feeling prepared and got a 25 which considering I ended up guessing on at least one whole passage on PS and Verbal plus other random guesses, has to be pretty good.

I walked away in tears and felt like I got about an 18. I have no idea how I really did on Saturday but at least I was six months more prepared and felt calm and thoughtful as I chose my answers, etc. I didn't feel GREAT, but at least I didn't feel like I did last summer which was way too harsh. I guess I am less scared of my scores now than I am of this pile of application material and getting it all set for June 1. ;)

Now, I hope I didn't misbubble ....