Question for those that have applied

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

danyoung2003200

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently in my second year of taking pre-reqs. I am taking the PCAT in November. I just wanted to know, do applicants without a degree get as much attention as those with a degree. I am going to be done with the pre-reqs after this year and was thinking of applying. My GPA is in the 3.8-3.9, because of Organic I. I just wanted to know what you guys think.
 
I would say that it depends on the school that you want to go to. I know some people who applied and did not get accepted because they did not have B.S. degree. One guy had 3.9 GPA (including Organic Chem 1+2 and Biochemistry) and he also worked at Sav-On, as a pharm clerk. He applied to USCF but he was not even granted an interview. They simply told hime that "we would prefer that you have a Bachelor's degree." So, he transfer to UC Berkeley. Another girl also had 3.87 GPA with all A's in G-Chems, O-Chems, etc. and she applied to UOP but she also did not get in. Right now, she's transferred to UCLA. Personally, I think that it really depends on the school that you apply to. If it is so competitive + reputable, you'd have a very slim chance of getting accepted regardless of your stellar GPA.

With that being said, I also know one person who got both C's in all 2 semesters of O-Chem and still got accepted into a pharmacy school! Though, it was a pharmacy school in Boston. I don't know if it's true or not but he told me that getting into a pharmacy school in the "east coast" is easier than getting into a school in the west. 😕

Anyway, that's just my experience.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would say give it a shot and apply anyway, because there are people who get in without a Bachelors. In our class at UCSF there are a handful. Why not apply to school, and try to transfer into an undergrad at the same time. Go with whichever one accepts you.
 
Thanks for all the replies guys. I am wanting to get into UK, I know it is in the top 3 in the country and very competitive, so I think that I will apply to both UK and the College of Pharmacy at the same time.