Question for those who know the process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

TPROrgoTutor

Howdy guys, Im pretty new here but kinda want somebody to either calm down my nerves or tell me what I need to do to give myself better chances at entering med school. Here is my basic list of credentials.

GPA - 3.77 BCPM, 3.86 AO, 3.81 Overall
MCAT - 36R
Experience: Worked in ER for a year doing 20 hour shifts as an assistant to imaging techs, volunteering in moffitt cancer research institute, volunteering at hope lodge (subsection of moffitt), reporter, membership secretary, and vice president of AED (premed honor society), small amount of shadowing.

Additional: All the standard stuff that all applicants have...national dean's list, etc...

Schools: Emory, Duke, UNC, Stanford, NYU, Chicago, Vermont, Tulane, USF, FSU, UF. I am a FL resident from USF.

Thanks for any info you can give, any suggestions on how to increase my chances, etc... Im getting nervous!

Members don't see this ad.

Stop. You know dam well that 36R is about 96th %tile. You are fishing for compliments.

I assure you Im not. MCAT isnt everything and we all know that. Im very happy with my score, Im not going to argue with that. But Im not the type to "fish for compliments." I am extremely nervous and looking for tips on what I can still do to help out. Sorry if it appearred that I was trying to get people to inflate my ego, this was not the case at all.

Does anyone have anything to say that may help? Are there any other schools I should try for as "safety" schools that anyone knows of. Im treating my FL schools as the safety ones, but two of them are rather difficult to gain acceptance into.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi. refer to my signature link for a list of mid to lower tier schools. such schools include: drexel, temple, jefferson, nymc etc. be confident, your grades are stellar and your EC's are great. but make sure you apply to about 25% low+mid tier schools also because your current list has some great schools.

Thank you Robizzle, this is what I was looking for. Ill take a look at those schools you suggested. And yes, my current list has some very high quality schools. I pretty much applied where I would want to see myself going. Ill up the list to a couple more schools in the low/mid tier range. Thanks.

UNC doesn't accept very many OOSers. So you may want to cut them from the list, unless you have some kind of North Carolina ties.

Go buy a MSAR from aamc.org and compare your stats to the averages accepted by different schools. That is your best bet.