Question for UCI students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HossIX949

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on taking these courses during the summer

I session

- Bio 97 w/ Abbott
- Bio 98 w/ Abbott

II session

- Bio 99 w/ Abbott
- Bio M122 w/ Ypma-Wong

Anyone ever had Abbott or Ypma-Wong? I plan on studying for my DATs after i complete these courses but other than that, since these will be the first classes i take at UCI, any insight or advice would be much appreciated :D

-Hoss

Members don't see this ad.

i'm not sure how much in-depth these classes will go over the summer vs. during the year, but if they cover the same amount of material (and I assume they will), taking 98 and 99 over a 5-week session is basically setting yourself up for disaster. Also, since you said these will be your first classes at UCI, I'm assuming you are a transfer student - let me warn you, if you are used to taking classes at a CC, then taking these classes over the summer will be EXTREMELY difficult. 97 and 122 are doable however. I recommend taking 97 and 122 during the 5 week sessions, and also taking 100LW (i assume they will over this over the 10 week session). If you can get 100LW out of the way ASAP, you can also start taking upper division labs come next year. Seriously though, highly recommend not taking 98 and 99 over the summer. Also, PM me, I'll give you a good deal on the 122 textbook if you are looking for it.

As for the individual professors, regardless of what ratemyprofessor or anyone else says, these opinions are all subjective. all instructors at UCI are really good in their own ways - work hard no matter what you take and you will see the results

EDIT: I just checked websoc - 100LW for summer is already full! Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks its a good idea :p

Members don't see this ad :)
both professors are easy and nice, but yea 98 and 99 are hard, especially for transfer students that have not yet adjusted to the ways that they teach in here.
definitely recommend to take M122 during the summer, basically all memorization. good luck!

Iwannabadentist & floral thank you for your insight! hah, you guys gave me a bit of a reality check. Since im behind as a transfer student, spending too much time at occ i figured i would use the summer to catch up on my academic life but i dont want to do that now because it might hinder my gpa.

I was told since Abbott is pretty easy at UCI her classes are doable, given that i put in the time and stay on top of things, but if molecbio and biochem are that complex and in depth with information ill save them for the regular quarter. I also figured i would pack my summer schedule since once i start regular quarters/semesters i want to take around 20+ units (get my bach in a year hopefully) and it would help discipline my study habits more.

Another issue thats put me in a bit of a hectic situation is that when i applied for fall 2010 at UCI i got waitlisted....so come fall if i dont hear back i might be doing NOTHING because i have around 80+ units done at occ (a lot of GE classes and my pre-reqs) and theres no other classes for me to take. Although i have around a 3.4 right now i had a huge downfall during sophmore and junior year that really prolonged me transferring. So worst come to worst and im not accepted then i will try applying for the winter and try applying for a wider array of schools during fall again and either go to UCI or a cal state. I kind of also wanted to take these classes during the summer at UCI to show admissions later on that i did well at UC classes during the summer at cal state classes (im kinda panicking about the two years that i didnt do well at cc, i got C's and a few W's).

As far as those of you who took molecbio and biochem...are they mostly memorization or application (lots of math?). I modified my schedule a bit, let me know what you think (as far as it being an overkill class for the summer like molecbio and biochem)

----------------------------------------------------------

I session

- Bio 97 w/ Abbott
- Bio E109 (physio) w/ Hicks or Bio D136 (anat) w/ Rodriguez

II session

- Bio M122 w/ Ypma-Wong

Thanks for your time :)

-Hoss

How'd you go in Gchem at OCC? Did you get B's? If so, and you've got at least a 3.0, you can get guaranteed addmissions to UCI Bio - that's what I did.

Anyways, like the above posters said, you need to look at ratemyprofessor to get an idea about the class - though it should be taken with a grain of salt, you can normally work out the classes to take. I didn't take 97 at UCI, but I did take 98 with Cumsky (Ugh, that was a mistake, haha) - and I did hear that it was easier with Abbot over the summer - though it's still a challenging class. I can say that M122 was pretty easy if you put the work in, and E109 is pretty straightforward - I had Loudon, but I think I had Hicks for something else and he(?) wasn't too bad.

And, although I don't think the classes will be particularly that much harder in terms of the subject matter overall compared to classes at OCC - a CC known for it's strong science programs - the thing that will make them more difficult is the incredibly fast pace of the quarter system. Midterms week 3 can really take you off guard if you're used to midterms week 8 on the semester system like I was. It's manageable, but you've got to stay on top of it.

Good luck!

Hey Vic, i wish i could do tag for bio but i got a c in one of my chems. Although i spoke with the dean of the bio department and he said if i did good in ochem, which i did, i would have a good shot but i guess with budget cuts and competitiveness of students i was only able to get wait-listed :confused:. Hopefully their winter quarter is open so i can apply once again for bio and public health. I need to finish asap, study my ass for the dat, get married and hopefully get accepted to d-school :xf: :laugh:

Anyways i had checked ratemyprofessor prior to making this thread but there were mixed reviews, especially when it came to the summer. A few said it was great having it with abbott and others where like "i dont know what the ppl that said it was great are thinking, it was horrible"..so yeah haha not much help. I just had a friend last year take her for genetics and she said she was great but im not too sure about taking biochem with her.

Thanks again and good luck with d-school!

I wouldn't recommend doing that load at all. I would say 98 during ss I and 99 during ss II. Then 97 your fall quarter. 98 and 99 are good to finish because you can start your upper division classes right away. I recommend E109 in the fall (requires 98). Also taking one class will be a whole lot better than taking two.

Sad to hear you got waitlisted though... I think you will probably make it in. Pretty sure a majority of bio majors will SIR ucsd/la/b before uci and everything will be okay.

98 and 99 is hard at OCC. I wouldn't recommend ;) it. Genetic is good though. IVC also offers it if you don't get in it at occ.