Question for UMSL Students Regarding Housin

Started by preopt2012
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

preopt2012

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I am going in March for my interview and I was wondering where students live around there. I saw apartments on the website but I wanted to know where others live and which are nice apts. so I can look at some of them when I come there.

Thanks!
 
Most people live off campus, but many do live on campus (especially first and second years...though mostly first years). Some live in University Meadows Apartments (pretty nice independently-operated facility...very convenient but pricier). More recently, they opened up a couple of wings of a dorm for just optometry students. They're nothing fancy by any stretch, but they are cheap (not sure how much though).

I can try to elaborate on these if you want, though I don't have much first-hand experience with them. I lived off-campus from the start because I got married halfway through first year (University Meadows only offers 9 and 12 month leases...the dorm "Optometry Villa" is MUUUCH more flexible, but it wasn't an option then).

If you're interested in living off-campus, I can try to give you some insight there as well...there are some affordable, safe places to live within 15-20 minutes. They also help you match up with roommates once your class is established. Dr. Brown helped me a lot when I was trying to figure out where to live. I know it is hard when you're not super familiar with the area.

Are you / will you be married? Do you want roommates? What kind of commute is acceptable to you?

Edit: Also, if I recall, they compile a list of places to live and give it to you when you visit. They survey the students every year asking where they live, how much it costs, how long is the commute, etc. Then they put it all together to give to prospective students.
 
Last edited:
Are you / will you be married? Do you want roommates? What kind of commute is acceptable to you?

Edit: Also, if I recall, they compile a list of places to live and give it to you when you visit. They survey the students every year asking where they live, how much it costs, how long is the commute, etc. Then they put it all together to give to prospective students.

I am not married or plan to get married soon. I don't want any roommates as I know I will get distracted. I prefer to commute about 15-20 minutes max.

I looked into Mansion House apartments and Village of Wyncrest Apartments. Do you have any thoughts about it?

THanks for all your help!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One of my classmates lived in Villages of Wyncrest for a year before getting a house. Another classmate lived there a year or two. I'm pretty sure he was ready to leave by the time he moved out, but I don't know if he really had a problem with the apartment itself. I thought they looked fine. One downside (for me) is there was only street parking. And no washer/dryer hookups. But the location is great. Great highway access, close to grocery store and target, close enough to the fun stuff. I will try to ask them how they felt about it.

I lived at Half Moon Village. It's not letting me insert a link for some reason.
http://www.forrent.com/apartment-community-profile/1009569.php

It was okay. It's biggest draw was the cheaper rent. It was maybe 20 minutes to school (give or take depending on traffic). And it was safe (though it's not TOO far to places I wouldn't go alone at night). It's not right off of any highway, but it's about halfway between 170 and 270, and not too far south of 70. There are 3-4 convenient grocery stores (5-10 minutes). Pretty close to a post office. TONS of fast food restaurants and car part shops/mechanics nearby (we thought that was weird), and quite possibly THE best Mexican restaurant ANYWHERE maybe a mile away. 😀 I think there might be a new Walgreens by now that's very close. There were times we hated the location, but there were also times we really appreciated being somewhat centrally located in STL County.

Another one you might look at is French Quarter (in Hazelwood...more north):
http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/Missouri/Hazelwood/French-Quarter/3472/

I was in there once...it was nice.

Some people also lived in Maryland Heights. I liked that area. A few people lived in St. Charles, which I also like, but it's a bit more of a drive in traffic.

So, in general, check out: Florissant, some parts of Ferguson, Hazelwood, University City, Maryland Heights, Olivette, some areas around Forest Park are reasonably affordable. This probably isn't an all-inclusive list.

I would avoid St. Ann (most parts), St. John, anything too close to the school without being on campus (some parts are probably okay, but you have to be smart about it...depends on your comfort level).

There are other nice areas that might be more than you want to drive (Creve Coeur...this one might still be worth looking up online before you go, St. Charles area).