Question for Walgreens floaters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossurfingers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do they force you to do overnight shifts/12 hour shifts?

Members don't see this ad.

No, but I heard from another pharmacist that if you volunteer once, that gives them the green light to schedule u overnight. We usually do 8 hour shifts/ day unless you volunteer for a double.

It's pretty simple. If you say no, you will have an unpaid day off. I floated for about a year and I only did 6 overnights. It doesn't happen all the time because there are floaters who just do overnights by choice. In my district, there are some pharmacies that are open 12 hours, so I did a lot of those 12-hour shifts.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's pretty simple. If you say no, you will have an unpaid day off. I floated for about a year and I only did 6 overnights. It doesn't happen all the time because there are floaters who just do overnights by choice. In my district, there are some pharmacies that are open 12 hours, so I did a lot of those 12-hour shifts.

Closest 24 hour store is over 100 miles away. Most stores in my immediate area are only open 12-13 hours anyway. We generally have enough coverage so that 12's aren't available. Benefit of rural areas I guess.

I have tried to say no. They started arguing with me about it and threatened to tell my supervisor. I feel like I am getting all the crappy shifts compared to my other floater friends.

When I was a floater they never forced us to do overnight shifts. Only on a voluntary basis. In my district there are positions for overnight floaters as someone else mentioned.

We have overnight floaters who normally take care of those shifts. When one is open, they will put it in market scheduling. Sometimes, they will break up the shift, i.e. 10pm-3am and 3am-8am, to try and get someone in. I have done 12 hour shifts, but I was always given a short shift to offset that day. You are being taken advantage of because you don't say no.

Never heard of it in my district. If they forced me to do overnight, I would pee in their restroom sink (assuming that pharmacy has its own restroom) so that that store would never want me back again.

no one can force you to do anything. but if you say no too many times to the market scheduler.. well.. the rest of the sentence all depends on the personality of your market scheduler now doesn't it?

I'm actually quitting my position because the scheduling system is just way too haphazard at my district. I'm not allowed to have a life because my schedule does not populate until 5-8 days before I start working, and sometimes not until 1-3 days before!!!

And by the way I was not guaranteed 40 hours upon hiring but I have been working steady 40 hours, but that was because I was very open to which shifts I would work.

Generally tho at my district you are not asked to do overnight, its on a volunteer basis only since there are floaters/staff rph who do nothing but overnights here.

no one can force you to do anything. but if you say no too many times to the market scheduler.. well.. the rest of the sentence all depends on the personality of your market scheduler now doesn't it?

I'm actually quitting my position because the scheduling system is just way too haphazard at my district. I'm not allowed to have a life because my schedule does not populate until 5-8 days before I start working, and sometimes not until 1-3 days before!!!

And by the way I was not guaranteed 40 hours upon hiring but I have been working steady 40 hours, but that was because I was very open to which shifts I would work.

Generally tho at my district you are not asked to do overnight, its on a volunteer basis only since there are floaters/staff rph who do nothing but overnights here.

Mine has been populating about 10-14 days out. Sorry yours hasn't worked out that well. I'm assuming you've already got something worked out job-wise.

If your schedule isn't being posted in a timely matter, that means you have a bad scheduler. I have my schedule through the beginning of December. When they do come out, we get 2 weeks at a time. I have some fixed shifts, so a late schedule isn't as big of a deal. I believe all markets are now using that. My market was a test market for the new market scheduling system, and so, we've been using it since Spring 2010.

Um.... I get my scedule for the next week on Thursday or Friday and if there's a change I get it a day in advance. I'm just happy I have a job and that I didn't have to do a night shift.

Well I'm happy you are happy with that. I ended up getting another job, 40 hours guaranteed no floating. I wasn't happy living that life.

Do you know if overnight shifts with Walgreens are usually 10 hours shifts that go from 10 pm - 8 am?

Well I'm happy you are happy with that. I ended up getting another job, 40 hours guaranteed no floating. I wasn't happy living that life.

Glad to hear. Still retail? I'm trying to break into a positon in hospital with 4 10's. Started there per diem, we'll see what happens when the director retires or the other full-time staff RPh leaves.

Do you know if overnight shifts with Walgreens are usually 10 hours shifts that go from 10 pm - 8 am?
M-F 10pm-8am but S-S 9pm-8am. You work 72 hrs every 2 wks but get paid 80 hrs.

Glad to hear. Still retail? I'm trying to break into a positon in hospital with 4 10's. Started there per diem, we'll see what happens when the director retires or the other full-time staff RPh leaves.

Yeah still retail, but at one of the less hectic chains (grocery store). Goodluck with the per diem hosp job, my friend got hired per diem at a home infusion place and she got hired full time in 1-2 months time!

overnights in my district were 9:30-8:00am.. at least the ones I volunteered to cover. They weren't too bad.. slow and you get paid OT for going over 8 hours + the differential.