gildas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2002
Mesa Az
Status
  1. Medical Student
I just got both my USMLE and COMLEX scores back and found myself in a tough situation. I got a great score on the Comlex1 and not so good one on USMLE step1 (barely passed). I was doing average on the NBME practice tests so I figured I would be getting an average score on the USMLE but it was not the case for some reasons (that's for another discussion). Anyway I am interested in allopathic IM programs on the West Coast and found some that accept the Comlex.
I know that I am require to release my USMLE scores if I intend to apply to any Allopathic programs. My question is would my "not so good" USMLE score offset my Comlex score.

DrWBD

Formerly 'wanna_be_do'
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
May 2, 1999
Long Island, NY USA
Status
  1. Attending Physician
I'll answer your question with another: What difference does it make?

I'm not trying to be flippant. I don't see how, either way, your course of action would change. Wouldn't you apply to a lot of ACGME IM programs anyway?

drdavemd

Attending
10+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2009
Gainesville, FL
Status
  1. Attending Physician
I think it's hard to say. Some programs and program directors pay big attention to those scores and others don't. Your scores are what they are, I would focus on things you have control over, things you can potentially improve, and how to make the best impression on your interviews.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads