Question from a newbie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Human_Genome

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I am fairly new to the concept of D.O. and i have been doing some reasearch in the AOA website. however, i still have a question (prolly an obvious one to the veterans), can D.O doctors take USMLE? i know D.O. students take COMLEX exams...whats the difference btw these two? hey thanx for answering my question...i am just confused.

Members don't see this ad.

Genome--
It is a very good question because I am sure a lot of people new to the world of osteopathy do not understand this. I will be a first year this fall so I am by no means an expert, but this is what I know.
A very good portion of students do take both exams for a few reasons. First off, to have more residency opportunities. Unfortunately, there are usually more allopathic residencies than osteopathic. Second, you are studying your butt off for one exam, why not take two? They are very similar exams, except for the OMT parts of the COMPLEX. Third, and sometimes most important, they want to prove that osteopaths are just as smart and educated as allopaths. I have heard various comments from people, thinking that osteopaths are just a step under MDs, which is not true at all.

Well that is my perception of the idea. If you have any further questions, feel free to email me or pm me on here!

Chris

hey thanx for the information guys, that was very helpful. I actually have another question, does D.O. school accept international students? if so, where can i find info on this? I am asking this for a friend. thanx