Question from a Texas Pharm Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TittlemansCrest

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just graduated from TCU with a degree in biochemistry and wasn't really sure what I wanted to do for a living except that I wanted to work in healthcare in some capacity. That being the case, I didn't know I was going to pharmacy school and didn't take anatomy, physiology, or any business courses.

Anyway, I graduated with a 3.3 and scored in the 99th percentile on the PCAT. No pharm experience at the moment, but I have my Pharm Tech Trainee license and am applying for jobs right now. None of the Texas schools except one require the coursework I'm missing, but I was just wondering if anyone has an idea of whether or not out of state schools may be willing to waive a pre-req class or two with my PCAT score or grant financial aid if they don't require the classes I'm missing. Also any pointers on schools with reasonable out-of-state tuition would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly I don't really know anyone that's been through the process so any advice or comforting words would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

So I just graduated from TCU with a degree in biochemistry and wasn't really sure what I wanted to do for a living except that I wanted to work in healthcare in some capacity. That being the case, I didn't know I was going to pharmacy school and didn't take anatomy, physiology, or any business courses.

Anyway, I graduated with a 3.3 and scored in the 99th percentile on the PCAT. No pharm experience at the moment, but I have my Pharm Tech Trainee license and am applying for jobs right now. None of the Texas schools except one require the coursework I'm missing, but I was just wondering if anyone has an idea of whether or not out of state schools may be willing to waive a pre-req class or two with my PCAT score or grant financial aid if they don't require the classes I'm missing. Also any pointers on schools with reasonable out-of-state tuition would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly I don't really know anyone that's been through the process so any advice or comforting words would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Very very few schools if any will waive pre-reqs, even with a high pcat score. What they MIGHT do is accept you, but make you take those classes before you start. Emphasis on MIGHT, because A&P are the type of classes where many schools won't make an exception on. Now things like speech class, they'll waive if you have your degree. But all science pre-reqs and business classes must be completed before starting pharmacy school if it is listed on that schools requirement.

I know this because an admin told me I have to take Econ even though I have my degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get some experience. Even if schools don't require it for admission, there is nothing worse than spending $100,000k on an education and getting a job that you truly dislike going to every day.

True. Work in a pharmacy and see if you really like it. Retail is very tough. Customers yell at you as to why their meds are not ready in 10 min, your DM yells at you as to why the metrics are low. It might not what you have envisioned at all. Contact me and I will get you in a pharmacy with a part time job to see if it is right for you.