Question from an aspiring MOT: Why DPT?

Started by CoastalOT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MOT is already transitioning to a doctorate program. there are 4 or so programs already in the process
 
I just have a question to all of you: what draws you to a DPT? I am an aspiring MOT student and I am drawn to rehabilitation therapy on many levels; I especially value the holistic OT approach.

You guys have an added expense of an extra year at least for the Doctorate of PT. I really hope that OT doesn't go down the same path and make us tack on extra year($$) of education. Our field went from an associates degree to a masters degree in recent memory.

Because the MPT was discontinued.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, most of us that just recently finished school didn't have a choice. DPT is the new pathway, so if you want to be a PT, you've got to have a doctorate. OT is starting to make the move to DOT, but hasn't fully transitioned. Although I wasn't crazy about the amount of money I spent on my DPT degree, especially since it's an entry-level program, I take a lot of pride in the fact that I hold a doctorate. It's less about having "Dr. So and So" in front of your name and more about learning all that you can to make a positive impact on your patients' lives. BS, MS, or DPT- I would do what it takes to become a PT. 🙂