question from nbme 13

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sadaca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys I tried searcing for these only found answers no explations. if someone understands these please help. I would REALLy appreciate it.
Thank you!

1. 20 subjects participate in a study of ardiopulmonary physiology. The pulmonary circulation of these subjects most likely has which fof the following characeteristscs compared w/ their bronchial circulation?
a) greater number of branches supplying the visceral pleura
b) larger number of asntomoses w/ interecostal arteries
c) larger percentrage of cardiac output
d) larger volume of nutrient blood to the conducting airways (WRONG :( )
e) lower volume, higher pressure system

previously healthy 54 yo man comes to the clinic because of lightheadedness for 6 hours. His symptoms began after skiing at a resort at an altitude of 9000 ft. he has been taking a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor since 2 days before arriving at the resort. His BP is 110/60 which sitting and 95/50 while standing. PE shows no other abnormalities. Which of the following is the most likely cause of his orthostatic hypotension?
a). High-alt. sickness
b). Hypovolemia
c). Hypoxia
d). Impaired sympathetic nerve activity (wrong)
e). Respiratory alkalosis

Members don't see this ad.

do you or anyone know these plz :

A 62-year-old man is brought to the emergency department because of a 3-hour history of progressive difficulty breathing and mild left shoulder pain. His symptoms began after he ran up several flights of stairs. He has poorly controlled hypertension and mild angina pectoris. He has smoked one-half pack of cigarettes daily for 40 years. He appears uncomortable and has labored breathing. Diffuse crackles, ronchi, and scattered wheezing on auscultation of the posterior lung fields. His arterial PO2 is 58 mm Hg. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?
A. Cardiac tamponade
B. Pneumonitis
C. Pneumothorax
D. Pulmonary edema
E. Pulmonary embolism

correct ans is D, could someone how to pick up on that please? I found the answer through other blogs but no explanation.
Did he have underlying HF, and the crackles and wheezing gives it away? Thank you

1. 42 yr woman comes to the physician because of 3 weeks history of numbness of the fingers on the left hand. Neuro exam shows loss of touch graphesthesia and loss of two-point discrimination in the left hand. Lesion location is?? Its picture of a brain with letters , I can't post it on here but does anyone remember this question? Or if anyidea on what condition this is, it can help.

Thanks aALOT

Members don't see this ad :)
do you or anyone know these plz :

A 62-year-old man is brought to the emergency department because of a 3-hour history of progressive difficulty breathing and mild left shoulder pain. His symptoms began after he ran up several flights of stairs. He has poorly controlled hypertension and mild angina pectoris. He has smoked one-half pack of cigarettes daily for 40 years. He appears uncomortable and has labored breathing. Diffuse crackles, ronchi, and scattered wheezing on auscultation of the posterior lung fields. His arterial PO2 is 58 mm Hg. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?
A. Cardiac tamponade
B. Pneumonitis
C. Pneumothorax
D. Pulmonary edema
E. Pulmonary embolism

correct ans is D, could someone how to pick up on that please? I found the answer through other blogs but no explanation.
Did he have underlying HF, and the crackles and wheezing gives it away? Thank you

1. 42 yr woman comes to the physician because of 3 weeks history of numbness of the fingers on the left hand. Neuro exam shows loss of touch graphesthesia and loss of two-point discrimination in the left hand. Lesion location is?? Its picture of a brain with letters , I can't post it on here but does anyone remember this question? Or if anyidea on what condition this is, it can help.

Thanks aALOT
The answer to the neuro question is the arrow that was pointing to the parietal cortex : I just remember those are some tests that we had to perform in our clinical skills class when assessing that particular area of the CNS.
As far as the other question, I think there are several clues that lead me to pulmonary edema : the diffuse crackles etc. and then the decreased PO2 plus it was 3 hours and progressive. Edema just makes the most sense, oh and the poorly controlled HTN --> LV failure --> pulmonary edema. What I thought about to rule out the other choices: Pneuomothorax they could have had to say absent breath sounds over one lung field, pulmonary embolism there could have been something about stasis or a coagulation issue, cardiac tamponade they would have given a pulsus paradoxus or distended jugular veins or muffled heart sounds.
Hope that makes sense!

Reactions: 1 user
The postcentral gyrus (the sensory strip) is in the parietal cortex. Graphesthesia (writing), reading, as well as object naming and math are all localized to the parietal cortex.