Question from NBME 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsprague12

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kid w/ nightmares, screaming w/ eyes open and unable to recognize his parents for 10 minutes at a time. What do you tell the parents?

Need an EEG
Need an MRI
Normal and will go away

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Night terrors are considered benign & will go away. Can be related to stress or recent illness.

Other questions from NBME 4:
Dissecting aortic aneurysm has defect in which protein?
Both elastin & fibrillin were options. Marfan's syndrome has highest incidence of dissecting aortic aneurysm, & is a defect in fibrillin. Dissection can also be caused by breakdown of elastic tissue.

What are the connections in the liver? Gap or tight?

When you suspect spousal abuse, what do you say? I know you don't report it because the partner is a competent adult, but do you ask if they feel safe going home? or encourage them to leave the relationship?

Night terrors are considered benign & will go away. Can be related to stress or recent illness.

Both elastin & fibrillin were options. Marfan's syndrome has highest incidence of dissecting aortic aneurysm, & is a defect in fibrillin. Dissection can also be caused by breakdown of elastic tissue.

When you suspect spousal abuse, what do you say? I know you don't report it because the partner is a competent adult, but do you ask if they feel safe going home? or encourage them to leave the relationship?

I thought you should ask if they feel safe going home as that is the more immediate concern. However, I didn't do so hot on behavioral on this form, so I don't know if that's right.

I put down fibrillin, it's essential for elastic fibers to form. I put tight junctions b/c the question asked a defect in (blank) will result in rapid flow of bile from the canaliculi. A gap junction defect would result in diminished flow, plus, bile flow is extra cellular, not intracellular as gap junctions allow for.

The way I approached that question was to find out more about the situation, and asking if she felt safe at home was the best way to elucidate more information from her in a productive manner.

im confused... if its a defect in tight junctions, wouldnt bile flow faster?

if the defect is in the tight junctions, wouldnt bile flow decrease?
wouldnt it make it more leaky?

the question was asking whether the flow would increase into the interstitium

bile flow should be in one direction:

hepatocyte -> bile canaliculi -> bile duct system

with a defect in tight junctions, bile secretion into the APICAL portion of hepatocytes facing the canaliculi would leak into the paracellular environment and lead to bile in the liver interstitium. which would suck.