Question from NBME test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prop

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Could anyone please help me with this question, as I cannot figure it out.

"4 drugs produce the same therapeutic effect by the same mechanism, but each has a unique toxicity. When used at a maximally effective dose, the drug with which of the following sets of characteristics is most likely to have the highest incidence of toxicity?"

Median effective dose Toxic dose1/Effective dose99
A) 0.5x 2.8
B) 1x 2.1
C) 5x 4.0
D) 33x 3.0

I know the right anwer is B, but why? I simply cannot remember how to calculate this, so please, could anyone tell me how to (ie. the equation or whatever).

Members don't see this ad.

Therapeutic index is what determines likelihood of toxicity, not the absolute dose that you have to use. This question relies on you falsely assuming that the absolute dose matters. Pick the drug with the lowest TI.

Please see the Sticky at the top of the page

The materials (i.e., test questions, clinical computer simulations, and standardized patient cases) of the USMLE, NBME's self-assessment program and NBME subject examinations are copyrighted. Publishing any ‘remembered' materials or replicas of these materials on The Student Doctor Network (or any other forum) is an unauthorized reproduction of NBME's materials, constitutes copyright infringement and is strictly prohibited. Any violation of NBME's copyrights and trademarks can not only lead to legal sanctions, but can also have professional consequences. Medical students and medical school graduates, prospective students, examinees of the USMLE and NBME self-assessment examinations and subject examinations are reminded that they are bound to the terms they agreed to follow regarding disclosure of intellectual property prior to the administration of one of these examinations. Failure to adhere to the terms of these policies will subject an individual to various penalties up to and including being barred from future USMLE examinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.