Question from Neurotic 3rd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Batman's Underwear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Step 1: 212 first attempt
Step 2: Have not taken yet
EC: Two poster presentations in other fields, some volunteers, school administrative stuff but NO EC in psychiatry
Ranking: Bottom 1/3 at mid tier US MD school
Clinical grades: Just passing. No negative comments on MSPE
Redflag: Failed a 3-weeks course, retook the exam.

What is the chance of not matching at all for upcoming match cycle? I know my step score is way below the average, and I have obvious red flag in my application.....
Also, what can I do to improve my application? Should I think about back up specialties?

Apply broadly!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do well on your Step 2 and show a significant improvement (maybe bump it up to 230+), do early 4th year Psychiatry rotations and also try to get very good letters of recommendation (from Psych as well as possibly Family Med/IM). I've found that those fields, also revolve around building rapport with at times difficult patients, test your empathy, and give you a chance to demonstrate genuine kindness and compassion for patients which I found many Psych PDs seemed to value over above-average numbers.

I think if you can do those things and also make a very genuine and moving personal statement about why you are so intent on entering Psychiatry, you can still get interviews to mid-high tier programs. With all this said, I think even if these things don't pan out, don't freak out because it seemed like this year, the top-tier programs were very competitive but mid tier programs (and safeties) were very willing to look for great human beings who maybe did not always perform excellently on exams, so I think you will still have a good chance at matching in Psychiatry.

Just be sure to apply broadly and I think it will work out!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No worries buddy. I had the following scores:
Step 1: 201, Step2CK: 217

I think applying to a variety of programs, in terms of prestige is one thing you can do to ensure that you get enough interviews to match. But the number one thing I did that made a HUGE difference in allowing me to interview at some of the top psych programs in the SE was that I applied for, and was able to do away rotations at some of these places. Very few ppl interested in psych do aways, but I think it is a hidden tool that few utilize to get interview offers.

Reactions: 3 users
It's interesting, I had always heard step 1 >>>> step 2, but appears this is reversed in psychiatry. I'm curious if the more competitive specialties still care more about step 1?
Step 2 is not grossly > Step 1, even for Psychiatry. What does matter a lot is failing any step.

Obviously things like Step 3 don't matter as much because the vast majority of applicants won't take Step 3 until after PGY1.

Step 2 is not grossly > Step 1, even for Psychiatry. What does matter a lot is failing any step.

Obviously things like Step 3 don't matter as much because the vast majority of applicants won't take Step 3 until after PGY1.

I think I was not clear. I had always been told Step 1 was worth several times Step 2, whereas the link shows Step 2 is slightly more valuable to psych PDs then Step 1. I was thinking Step 2 = 0.2 x step 1, whereas maybe its closer to 1.2x step 1, that's about 600% more valuable then I was led to believe.

I think I was not clear. I had always been told Step 1 was worth several times Step 2, whereas the link shows Step 2 is slightly more valuable to psych PDs then Step 1. I was thinking Step 2 = 0.2 x step 1, whereas maybe its closer to 1.2x step 1, that's about 600% more valuable then I was led to believe.

Really? From my experience, I was always under the impression Step 2 is slightly > Step 1. Psychiatrists don't care if you know the krebs cycle inside out, they are more concerned about your clinical knowledge/interpersonal skills...as far as I know. But this unique to Psych, I think every other specialty cares more about Step 1...

Would any member of a residency selection committee be so kind as to comment on whether Step 2 weighs more than Step 1? Thanks very much, in advance.

Last edited:
Step 1 is and always will be far more important than step 2, especially for the better programs, not because it has much relevance to the quality of the future resident but because of the "prestige" associated with a high Step 1 score (vs Step 2). Doing well on Step 2 is not going to offset doing poorly on Step 1, but it will make a strong Step 1 score that much better. I am pretty suspect about "factors PDs consider important" because of course no one is going to want to appear so cold as to only value a test score and report as much to a survey, but when you are an attending physician who has to go through >1000 applications, the objective data pieces (Step 1 score and name of medical school) are easily what matter most.

To the OP, you should not have an issue matching assuming you apply somewhat broadly

Some people apply without a Step 2 score, leaving open the possibility of a failure. Maybe having a pass in hand is what those PDs are thinking when they rank a step 2 score as more important?

Some people apply without a Step 2 score, leaving open the possibility of a failure. Maybe having a pass in hand is what those PDs are thinking when they rank a step 2 score as more important?
Step 1 may be more important for the programs that have a strict screening rubric, but NOT having a passed Step 2 by fall may move you down our priority list for interviews, and will definitely move you down our rank list if you don't have it by February. I'm still surprised every year by the number of good applicants who put that off.