Question: getting married DURING 2nd year, possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

npuent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting my 1st year of med school this fall, and I and my fiancee would like to get married. Would it be possible to have the wedding during 2nd year, probably some weekend in october (she really wants a fall wedding). I know most people say to do it between 1st/2nd year,which is a possibiity but not our first choice. Obviously the honeymoon would have to be postponed if we did it during school. Anyways, what are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely possible, some of my classmates did so. You will not be able to play all that much of a role in the planning, though. Talk to your professors early, as you may find yourself with a wedding the weekend before a huge test. If this happens, be prepared to take any exam early. But hey, what's a C compared to a lifetime of happiness and fulfillment, right?

Thats good to hear. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be starting my 1st year of med school this fall, and I and my fiancee would like to get married. Would it be possible to have the wedding during 2nd year, probably some weekend in october (she really wants a fall wedding). I know most people say to do it between 1st/2nd year,which is a possibiity but not our first choice. Obviously the honeymoon would have to be postponed if we did it during school. Anyways, what are your thoughts?

October would probably be rough, since you'd likely have to schedule it long before you know your test schedule, unless you were doing something last minute. You do not want to ruin your wedding worrying about a biochem exam two days later. A handful of people get married over winter break - that seems to work better.

Plan ahead and it should be fine. You'll have time in med school for things that matter.

Most of my friends and classmates got married over winter break, but I can think of one who got married during school. Go talk to your Student Affairs office or professors and see if they can advise you about the best time to get married if you're set on having the wedding during October. Test schedules usually dont change too much from year to year (unless theres a curriculum change) so they may be able to indicate a weekend that may be available. If you are female, I'd strongly suggest that you plan it during a vacation though.

The summer between 1st and 2nd year would be perfect. I'm a 2nd year trying to plan a wedding for the summer (ie, 2 week break) after 3rd year and whew, if I could pick any time during med school, that first summer would be it!

I am a first year and just recently got engaged. I was wondering how difficult it would be to plan a wedding for the summer after 2nd year (and after taking the usmle of course). Has anyone done this or know someone who did?

I am a first year and just recently got engaged. I was wondering how difficult it would be to plan a wedding for the summer after 2nd year (and after taking the usmle of course). Has anyone done this or know someone who did?

You won't be able to be involved in the planning the month prior to the wedding, but if you are comfortable leaving it to someone else and just showing up, then go for it. Don't expect much classmate attendance though -- everyone else will be either taking the boards or off on post-board vacation.

I really had no intention of being a "spring bride" (ick) or getting married in Vegas (but my husband to be was so excited about it) but that's what we did between 1st and 2nd year and it really was the best time and way to do it (not necessarily vegas, but seriously consider small and simple, it is way cheaper, so much easier to plan, and you actually get to visit with all your guests at the reception, and have time for a honeymoon! really, how much fun are you going to be on the beach somewhere it you're all stressed about how much renal your classmates are all memorizing while you're gone?)

the way I see it, it isn't really the wedding that matters, its the marriage.

Another thing to think about is the marriage license. If you are getting married in a different state from where you are going to school, getting the marriage license could be kind of tricky. Good luck!

I am also thinking of getting married after 2nd year after the boards (I am MS I). I know I will have to have all the planning done really early- but it will be nice to get married without the boards hanging over my head, stressing me out. Has anyone done this?

Members don't see this ad :)
A few of my classmates did, so yes.

In the end, there's no good time to do anything (marriage, kids, etc). You'll either not have enough time, not have enough money, or both. Things like that have a way of working out, so if you feel ready, and now's the time, then go for it and best of luck!

Many programs don't have a real summer after second year. If you get downtime, that is to study for Step I.

I know a number of students who got married over their two week christmas break and did the honeymoon then as well.

summer after first year, best time by far.
it's when I'm doing it- marrying a M2- he's got step right before the wedding, starting clincial rotations day after our honeymoon. I definitely don't pity him. M1 summer you've got off, so plenty of time to enjoy being newly weds. Next best time is winter break and then spring break. I wouldn't recommend doing it during the semester if you can avoid it- med school is so stressful it might take away from the joy of the event. Good luck!

Many programs don't have a real summer after second year. If you get downtime, that is to study for Step I.

I know a number of students who got married over their two week christmas break and did the honeymoon then as well.

You get two weeks? I think ours is closer to nine days . . .

I had two friends (one couple) who attended different medical school. Then they got married after 2nd year, post USMLE. And the girl transferred medical schools so they could be together. They each had 6 weeks off, took 3 to study, took step I, got married, had a 1 week honeymoon and a 2 week vacation.

summer after first year, best time by far.
it's when I'm doing it- marrying a M2- he's got step right before the wedding, starting clincial rotations day after our honeymoon. I definitely don't pity him.

Do you mean you don't envy him?

Or you actually don't pity him and have been telling him to suck it up, it won't be that bad?

I really had no intention of being a "spring bride" (ick) or getting married in Vegas (but my husband to be was so excited about it) but that's what we did between 1st and 2nd year and it really was the best time and way to do it (not necessarily vegas, but seriously consider small and simple, it is way cheaper, so much easier to plan, and you actually get to visit with all your guests at the reception, and have time for a honeymoon! really, how much fun are you going to be on the beach somewhere it you're all stressed about how much renal your classmates are all memorizing while you're gone?)

the way I see it, it isn't really the wedding that matters, its the marriage.
We did the same thing (vegas) but actually he was a 3rd at the time we finally did it. We also never got a honeymoon ... I keep saying one day.

I know alot of students who got married during 2nd year. All sorts of different times. They just had to deal with the fact that they might have an exam and plan accordingly! :luck: to all of you planning!

I took the boards June 12, got married June 18th, honeymooned for a couple weeks, and started rotations July 5th.
It was crazy busy, but tons of fun and everything went well (including board scores). Only caveat is that my husband did have to do a lot of the planning so that I could study, but that was fine with him.

It's possible to get married duing 2nd year. I know of almost a dozen people in my class who are getting married this year. Five different people are getting married over spring break alone, including me!

While it definitely would have been easier to do the summer after first year, it wasnt possible for our timeline. We got married over Christmas break when we had about 15 days. We did it right before new years and our honeymoon is postponed until after boards. At my school we get off about two months to study and prep for boards. Our 3rd year has a set date of start and it is up to us to decide when to actually take step 1. The earlier you take it the longer a break you get before 3rd year. Most people are studying for at least a month in order to do a Kaplan course. I wouldnt recommend getting married around boards, because trust me, you dont want to be dealing with the last minute little fires that need to be put out. No matter how much you plan, and how prepared you are, things WILL go wrong, and you dont need that stress to take away from your step 1 studying.

Just my 2 cents.

I took the boards June 12, got married June 18th, honeymooned for a couple weeks, and started rotations July 5th.
It was crazy busy, but tons of fun and everything went well (including board scores). Only caveat is that my husband did have to do a lot of the planning so that I could study, but that was fine with him.

It is doable but a lot of schools have different amounts of time to prepare for step 1. We have six weeks (most students take 4 to study) so it can be planned.

I am curious why the OP does not want to get married during the break between MSI and MSII as most schools give more time and there are no extraneous pressures (like Step I).