• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

question in examkracker 1001 physics #194

medscholhopeful

10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
  1. Non-Student
there is an inclined plane diagram, if object m slides down the plane in 3s, what is the ratio of the distance it travels in the 1st second compares to the distance it travels in the 2nd second...seem easy enuf but still dont know how they got it.. this is my logic

using x=1/2at2, i divided x1/x2 = 1/2at2(for 1st second, t=1)/1/2at2(for second second t=2).. i came up with 1:4 but answer is 1:3 how come?.. thanks

ThirdEye

10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2009
  1. Pre-Medical
Since it's a ratio, it will be the same ratio as if it was free falling for 3 sec.

After 1 second the velocity will be 10m/s and the avg. v is 5m/s... so it goes 5m in 1 sec.

After 2 seconds the velocity will be 20m/s. The avg v between 1 and 2 seconds is (10+20)/2 = 15m/s..... so it travels 15m from second 1 to second 2.

5:15 ----> 1:3

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.