Question on AAMC 6 - PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoubleOSeven

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, ok so i'm having trouble understanding this one problem and i know i shouldn't dwell on it but i can't help it! can anyone explain the answer to question 114 on aamc 6 in the physical science section? i have the regular test, not 6R. its in passage VIII about the two inorganic compounds with alternating B and P atoms.

basically, i understand that after manipulating the ideal gas equation, the volume of a gas will increase with temperature. so i know the slope will be positive but i don't know how to figure out the value of the slope relative to the plot already on the graph of compound I.

Members don't see this ad.

since you have 1 gram sample of each, the sample with the greater molar mass will occupy lower volume at the same temperature. This is because there will be less moles of it. This means that the slope will be the same for both lines but the one with greater molar mass will have a lower volume for each identical temperature. Hope that helps.

i just don't understand how something that has a higher molecular weight will be of fewer moles...?? am i being dense?