Question on being a Medical Scribe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hopefulpilotdoctor

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone!

Just wondering is there is any stigma associated with being a medical scribe at an urgent care clinic, as opposed to a hospital setting. In my area, there are only a few openings, and the more convenient one for me by far is at a MEDcare Urgent Care Clinic.

Also, can anyone say what a standard hours requirement would be for a scribe in general? I'm a non-trad with a full time schedule in the Air Force, with shift work and a rotating weekly schedule and all. I just want make sure I can actually meet the requirements of a scribe.

Bottom line: scribe at Urgent care a good idea?

Thanks everyone,

DEW
 
I was an ER scribe for 3 years. And no if you just want to put something on your resume it should not make a difference. But if you want to really learn a lot and improve your clinical and general medical knowledge years beyond your peers, work in a hospital. Working in the ER I saw cases many wont see in thier clinicals and maybe even residency. I saw level 1 traumas, gunshot wounds, meningitis, hypglycemia, diabetic ketoacidosis, etc. I also saw a doc manipulate the dive reflex to take a kid out of svt (old school medicine at its finest)... an adcom wont see much difference between the two but if you want to have a greater knowledge base, ER is the way to go

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile