Quantcast

question on eLor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ariel-Li

UC Davis C/O 2025
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey all, I have a question about my eLor...

I have a strong rec from a veterinarian I volunteered for in a shelter and two RAVS trips with; 2 rec from the research lab PI and postdoc; 1 rec from my orgo professor.

I work as a tech in a small animal hospital for 2 years now (1 year full time, 1 year part-time), will it look bad if I don't have a recommendation from any doctor in a place I've been employed longest in time? I can get at least 1 or 2 recommendation if I want to, but I'm not sure how strong it will be, since the past year I've been working only weekends.

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Go for quality over quantity. Only get letters from people you know will write a good letter. In a perfect world it would look best to get a letter from someone who has worked with you for a long time and can also write you a great letter, but if that’s not in the cards, don’t worry about it. Not having a letter from them isn’t really going to hurt you. Having a mediocre letter will.

Reactions: 4 users

blueheeler

Texas A&M c/o 2024!!! :o
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
OP, I highly recommend you follow ajs513's advice. I had a mediocre letter from a veterinarian the first time I applied. It was mentioned in several of my file reviews. VMCVM told me it wasn't a bad letter, but it wasn't as strong as my other recommendations. OSU told me I needed a stronger recommendation from a veterinarian.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Ariel-Li

UC Davis C/O 2025
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Go for quality over quantity. Only get letters from people you know will write a good letter. In a perfect world it would look best to get a letter from someone who has worked with you for a long time and can also write you a great letter, but if that’s not in the cards, don’t worry about it. Not having a letter from them isn’t really going to hurt you. Having a mediocre letter will.

Thank you!!