question on esophagitis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinky78

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi.i have a question about the infectious esophagitis.what is the most common cause of esophagitis in AIDS.candida or CMV.really appreciate if someone could help.thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by pinky78
hi.i have a question about the infectious esophagitis.what is the most common cause of esophagitis in AIDS.candida or CMV.really appreciate if someone could help.thanks.

Infection by Candida species is the most common cause of infectious esophagitis in AIDS related cases according to an article written on emedicine www.emedicine.com/radio/topic897.htm

You may have to register (it's free) to read the full article. Since I'm not at the academic level to give creditable information, I can only point you in the right direction to look for information

Moving to Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties Forum while leaving re-direct here to increase overall thread exposure.

I have been taught that esophageal Candidiasis is the most common cause of esophagitis in AIDS, but that CMV and HHV are close behind. I have also been told that esophagitis due to Candida is AIDS-defining.