Question on H1B-visa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prop

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I recently signed a prematch contract and at the same time the program agreed to sponsor an H1B-visa for me. I just sent my application for a training license in the state I'm going to work in, and also received notification that I passed step 3.

My question is this: What other documents do I need to prepare (other than the training license and proof of passing step 3) in order for the program to apply for an H1B-visa? I think that the program needs to do all the paperwork and pay for the application, but do I need to do anything else?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Bump. Anybody with any insight?
Thanks

Usually, programs will pass the process of H visa applications to a lawyer / law firm. They may want your diploma, ECFMG cert, etc. It may vary. You should simply ask.

Off course I already asked the PC and she didn't really know. This is a program that very rarely take FMGs (something like 2 in the past 5 years), so they aren't used to dealing with this type of situation. She promised to pass the question on to the GME office, but due to all the other stuff going on at this time of the year I haven't heard from them (and I don't want to bother the PC quite yet).

I would think that the same paperwork and documents are required for all H1B-visa applicants, so I did hope that someone who went through the process recently would offer their advice...

Our PC sent me the documents that I needed to fill out and the legal division of our program handled all the necessary paperworks after that. I did submit a copy of my VISA (scanned all the pages cover-to-cover), copy of USMLE scores, med school diploma, updated CV, copy of ECFMG certificate, contract from the employer etc. For your program to apply an H1B petition on your behalf, you need to have a state medical license first (you can check the requirements on the website of your state's medical board). The program paid for everything except the Premium processing fee ($ 1,255) for the VISA petition because otherwise, you'll wait for a few months before your petition gets approved.

Once approved, you'll receive an email from them. Ask your local US Consular office for scheduling requirements so you can prepare in advance. Some consular offices need the petition details (i.e., petition number, VISA starting date and expiration date) before you can schedule for an H1B visa interview (a.k.a. stamping).

I think it took me 2.5 months to get things done.

Hi Romeostasis,

Thank you so much for your answer, that was exactly what I was looking for...
I already send my application for a state medical training license (the temporary one, as I can't get a US social security number until we get to the US).

So it took you 2.5 months when paying the Premium processing fee? Better do that as well. When were you allowed to enter the US? (I've heard people mentioning that the visa won't allow you to enter the US until about 10 days prior to your employment starts. Was that the case for you?).

Prop

You're most welcome. Just wanna clarify, the whole process took me 2.5 months, meaning from receiving the first document (contract) from our PC to having my H1B visa stamped on my passport. My H1B petition was approved in 8 days since I availed of the premium processing service, which will otherwise take like 3-4 months.

About the 10-day entry rule, I didn't have the opportunity to arrive earlier than 10 days prior to the start of my contract so I can't help you with that.

So to clarify: you hadn't even applied for licensing and the whole process took 2.5 months for licensing and h1b visa? Thanks