question on handling the M1 curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blizzard18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my question is the following:
I'm currently an M1 and my study schedule is insane. My med school does this prestudy type curriculum where we are in class from 8-afternoon (anywhere from 2-5) and then they send us home with a ton of "prestudy" for tomorrow. The thing is they usually skip most of that the next day and teach new stuff. It seems to me like a roundabout way to give us way more work than if class was all didactic lecture. They said before the switched from didactic lecture we would have class until 3 or 4. My issue is, if you are going to keep me there all day, you can't expect me to finish 6 hours worth of prestudy every night after class from 8-2 (on a good day). I'm in my 8th week of M1 and I have all A's so I am handling it. But I feel like everyone else in my class has given up doing their prestudy or coming to class, and I am one of the handful still trying to accomplish everything and as a result I have no life. Has anyone else experienced this and can you offer some guidance.

p.s. I did search for topics before I posted a new one, none of them matched my personal story.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Having no life is a pretty common occurrence during med school, but not during MS-1. Does this style of teaching continue into MS-2? If so, now would be the time to experiment and find the point of diminishing returns.

Based off what you're saying, they're probably assigning readings that they know they won't have time to cover during class, which makes sense.

Is your final grade determined by an internal exam or a shelf? That will dictate how to best manage your time.

Sent from my phone. No, I wont tell you which one.

I'm not understanding what is pre-study in this context. I figure it meant study the material ahead of time before it is covered the next day. Seems like that's not the case and what they have done is had the same timings just not covering all the material they're supposed to cover in didactics, and instead leave it to you in an attempt to instill some "life-long learning" in you and they move on to the next topic. Is this accurate?

As a side note, sorry your medical school is so disorganized. I'm always amazed at schools that seriously either a) can't get their act together or b) come up with an new fangled idea to "revolutionize" and "innovate" basic science education and rather than make it easier, it makes it harder. Does your medical school not video record lectures so that you can watch them later or stream from home? I'm assuming they're at least nice enough to have premade course syllabi/course packs.

It's too bad you can't "out" them, as I think applicants should know which schools are like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just sounds like homework to me. Without actually seeing the contents of the "pre-study" material, it's hard to advise on whether or not it's worth keeping up with. As you take the exams, take note of how much of the material is coming from the assigned readings vs. your didactic notes. If you don't feel like the assigned readings are helpful you can always scale them back.

M1 year is all about learning what's high-yield. It's not a virtue to cover every single word in every single handout and PowerPoint at the expense of reviewing high-yield material. That said, it's working for you grade-wise. Make small tweaks to your studying approach instead of an overhaul and see where it takes you.

Just sounds like homework to me. Without actually seeing the contents of the "pre-study" material, it's hard to advise on whether or not it's worth keeping up with. As you take the exams, take note of how much of the material is coming from the assigned readings vs. your didactic notes. If you don't feel like the assigned readings are helpful you can always scale them back.

M1 year is all about learning what's high-yield. It's not a virtue to cover every single word in every single handout and PowerPoint at the expense of reviewing high-yield material. That said, it's working for you grade-wise. Make small tweaks to your studying approach instead of an overhaul and see where it takes you.
The problem is that M1s don't know what is "high-yield". They always think they do, but 9 times out of 10 they don't.

Reactions: 2 users
The problem is that M1s don't know what is "high-yield". They always think they do, but 9 times out of 10 they don't.

This x100.

I overheard a group of MS1s the other day complaining about all the low-yield unimportant stuff they had to learn and then proceeded to list some of the only stuff from M1 I still use.

This x100.

I overheard a group of MS1s the other day complaining about all the low-yield unimportant stuff they had to learn and then proceeded to list some of the only stuff from M1 I still use.
For an M1, if it's not in First Aid, then it's not "High Yield". Then they wonder why they're missing Qbank questions all over the place and why they didn't do as well as they hoped on Step 1. There's a reason why everyone is using the same exact review material but is not getting the same score.

My school does introductory/pre-study lectures sometimes. I half-ass it because I don't have the time or inclination to care about it.

So how do us m1 decipher what is high yield? For instance. I want to consistently review material on flashcards that we've already had. But I simply can't try to review every single card and also study new stuff. I will try to do flashcards to keep as much in my long term memory as possible, but It will be hard

So how do us m1 decipher what is high yield? For instance. I want to consistently review material on flashcards that we've already had. But I simply can't try to review every single card and also study new stuff. I will try to do flashcards to keep as much in my long term memory as possible, but It will be hard

High vs low yield really depends on your goals. Are you aiming for a 220-230 on step 1 and average-ish clinical knowledge? You can probably get by with FA and some review books.

Are you aiming for 250+ and above average or baller clinical knowledge? Then everything is high yield.

I think there's a lot of value to memorizing all the minutiae and detail at least once. This way, the details that are less-important to your practice will gradually fade while the things that matter for you are there to build upon.

Reactions: 1 users
High vs low yield really depends on your goals. Are you aiming for a 220-230 on step 1 and average-ish clinical knowledge? You can probably get by with FA and some review books.

Are you aiming for 250+ and above average or baller clinical knowledge? Then everything is high yield.

I think there's a lot of value to memorizing all the minutiae and detail at least once. This way, the details that are less-important to your practice will gradually fade while the things that matter for you are there to build upon.
My goal is to score as high as I possibly can. I really don't know what I'm capable of. So I'll just try to learn everything. Lol

SDN has taught me that you have to memorize everything and that it's entirely possible to memorize tens of thousands of flash cards and if you're not doing that then you're lazy or stupid or something.

Reactions: 6 users
They started this new curriculum about 3 years ago. They have been making changes to it every year. It is called prestudy and the professor are convinced it makes it easier on us and that we have plenty of time to do it because we "are in class less". But honestly, I feel like they are lying to themselves on a daily basis. We are in class so much, and yes it is recorded and podcasted, but we have a lot of clicker quizzes that count and basically make attendance mandatory. Then they give us a ton of prestudy, expect us to master it that night, and then they skip a vast majority of it and just discuss health related issues. For example: prestudy this material and know everything about how the mechanism works in the body for glucose uptake, then tomorrow I am skipping all of that and discussing diabetes for a couple hours in class. As for determining what is high yield and not, that is a whole different issue. They tell us in every lecture "i don't want you to know the details of this, just the big picture." then on the exam they ask us some very minute detail from some random slide we never covered or they told us not to memorize. I really do feel like they are full of it and in denial.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They started this new curriculum about 3 years ago. They have been making changes to it every year. It is called prestudy and the professor are convinced it makes it easier on us and that we have plenty of time to do it because we "are in class less". But honestly, I feel like they are lying to themselves on a daily basis. We are in class so much, and yes it is recorded and podcasted, but we have a lot of clicker quizzes that count and basically make attendance mandatory. Then they give us a ton of prestudy, expect us to master it that night, and then they skip a vast majority of it and just discuss health related issues. For example: prestudy this material and know everything about how the mechanism works in the body for glucose uptake, then tomorrow I am skipping all of that and discussing diabetes for a couple hours in class. As for determining what is high yield and not, that is a whole different issue. They tell us in every lecture "i don't want you to know the details of this, just the big picture." then on the exam they ask us some very minute detail from some random slide we never covered or they told us not to memorize. I really do feel like they are full of it and in denial.
It's active learning: clicker quizzes, pop quizzes, TBL/PBL with cases, reflective essays, having you read assigned journal articles on the topic on your own, etc. Anything, but ONLY didactic lectures and exams (which isn't allowed anymore anyways, bc it's an LCME requirement to have some form of PBL/TBL in the first 2 years). Even Vanderbilt which used to be nearly all didactic lecture and exams has switched away from this with their new curriculum. It's part of assessing your competency in "life-long learning" where every piece of information will not be given to you and taught by a professor bc it won't happen when you get to clerkships.

Your example of glucose uptake and then discussing diabetes is actually active learning in action (not that I believe it actually works). The theory being you're more likely to remember the information by reading the information on your own (GLUT receptors, etc.), and then directly applying that info. the next day on a diabetes case.

Yeah, rule #1 of basic sciences which you've figured out - PhD professors lie.

It's active learning: clicker quizzes, pop quizzes, TBL/PBL with cases, reflective essays, having you read assigned journal articles on the topic on your own, etc. Anything, but ONLY didactic lectures and exams (which isn't allowed anymore anyways, bc it's an LCME requirement to have some form of PBL/TBL in the first 2 years). Even Vanderbilt which used to be nearly all didactic lecture and exams has switched away from this with their new curriculum. It's part of assessing your competency in "life-long learning" where every piece of information will not be given to you and taught by a professor bc it won't happen when you get to clerkships.

Your example of glucose uptake and then discussing diabetes is actually active learning in action (not that I believe it actually works). The theory being you're more likely to remember the information by reading the information on your own (GLUT receptors, etc.), and then directly applying that info. the next day on a diabetes case.

Yeah, rule #1 of basic sciences which you've figured out - PhD professors lie.

So much this. I learned that lesson the hard way on my first exam. Then my classmates wondered why I focused so much on little details for the second biochem exam. "Don't worry about learning SREBP/GCPR/tyrosine kinases/etc., just have a general idea of what they ultimately do". Then the exam had a lot of very specific pathway questions. I never trust professors when they post something on their lecture slides and then say we don't have to learn it. I learn it anyway. It's weird, because now I feel like I have sort an adversarial relationship with my professors.

So much this. I learned that lesson the hard way on my first exam. Then my classmates wondered why I focused so much on little details for the second biochem exam. "Don't worry about learning SREBP/GCPR/tyrosine kinases/etc., just have a general idea of what they ultimately do". Then the exam had a lot of very specific pathway questions. I never trust professors when they post something on their lecture slides and then say we don't have to learn it. I learn it anyway. It's weird, because now I feel like I have sort an adversarial relationship with my professors.
Yes, me too! It's a very weird relationship to have with professors, although I was used to it from undergrad with PhD professors lying. My question always is: Why LIE?!?!? If you want me to memorize your powerpoints, syllabus/coursepack like Rainman I'll do it, but don't lie to me saying that I don't need to memorize something, when it's obvious I do. I figured maybe they do it for ****s and giggles or maybe to increase the grade distribution a little more. Either way, no need for them to be dishonest.

This has probably already been said, but this is the time to experiment, OP. You run the risk of burning out. If you don't think your method of studying is sustainable through MS2 with energy left over for boards, you need to switch it up now while the stakes are low. I wouldn't say to completely blow off this pre-study crap right now, but I would worry less about it and try a different study method.

For an M1, if it's not in First Aid, then it's not "High Yield". Then they wonder why they're missing Qbank questions all over the place and why they didn't do as well as they hoped on Step 1. There's a reason why everyone is using the same exact review material but is not getting the same score.
So far I just memorize everything in classes (and score well on exams doing so), I don't look at First Aid. Should I be looking at it? I was going to memorize M1 stuff in First Aid this summer along with research. Also, my professors claim to "teach the step 1," they often reference/use images from the Lippincott books. For each exam they write their own "module," which is just a PDF you memorize for the exam (~200 pages).

Last edited:
You should focus on everything in class, save MS2 for worrying about what's high yield and what's not high yield. When you get to MS2 and start going through First Aid then you can decipher what factoids you want to keep up and which from MS1 you want to forget.

But, for right now, focus on your class and its syllabus/objectives.

So far I just memorize everything in classes (and score well on exams doing so), I don't look at First Aid. Should I be looking at it? I was going to memorize M1 stuff in First Aid this summer along with research. Also, my professors claim to "teach the step 1," they often reference/use images from the Lippincott books. For each exam they write their own "module," which is just a PDF you memorize for the exam (~200 pages).
I liked First Aid in conjunction with the topic that I was studying at the time for 2 reasons:

1) It had great mnemonics which are helpful to engrain the material which then helps for exams.

2) It got me used to using First Aid in the first place - breeding familiarity.

The only Lippincott's book that is even useful is Lippincott's Biochem and that book is more useful for the course, rather than for board review, so I don't know how much that is really "teaching to Step 1".

I liked First Aid in conjunction with the topic that I was studying at the time for 2 reasons:

1) It had great mnemonics which are helpful to engrain the material which then helps for exams.

2) It got me used to using First Aid in the first place - breeding familiarity.

The only Lippincott's book that is even useful is Lippincott's Biochem and that book is more useful for the course, rather than for board review, so I don't know how much that is really "teaching to Step 1".
It is mainly the biochem teacher using lippincott's in their "module." Maybe I'll check out First Aid during Saturday/Sunday reviews, but right now I pretty much go from 8 AM- midnight just getting through/memorizing/anki that day's material during the week. As far as teaching the step 1 as they claim, I have no idea if that's true or not. They also claim that our school had the highest average step 1 score in the nation last year, but I can't find any website that can verify/falsify that claim.

It is mainly the biochem teacher using lippincott's in their "module." Maybe I'll check out First Aid during Saturday/Sunday reviews, but right now I pretty much go from 8 AM- midnight just getting through/memorizing/anki that day's material during the week. As far as teaching the step 1 as they claim, I have no idea if that's true or not. They also claim that our school had the highest average step 1 score in the nation last year, but I can't find any website that can verify/falsify that claim.
If your Biochem teacher is using Lippincott's as the "textbook" for the course, then that's as good as you can get. You really can't get better than that. All the traditional textbooks: Stryer, Lehninger, Devlin, Marks, etc. are fine to learn Biochemistry from, but just way too much to retain in any reasonable quantity when you have 6 other subjects to learn + safety science & quality improvement principles (lol).

Only look at First Aid if it isn't an imposition. If you're already busy enough doing everything else, then don't for now. I usually looked at a factoid that I happened to be learning (i.e. looked at FA fact on brachial plexus injuries while learning about brachial plexus and its injuries in Anatomy).

If your Biochem teacher is using Lippincott's as the "textbook" for the course, then that's as good as you can get. You really can't get better than that. All the traditional textbooks: Stryer, Lehninger, Devlin, Marks, etc. are fine to learn Biochemistry from, but just way too much to retain in any reasonable quantity when you have 6 other subjects to learn + safety science & quality improvement principles (lol).

Only look at First Aid if it isn't an imposition. If you're already busy enough doing everything else, then don't for now. I usually looked at a factoid that I happened to be learning (i.e. looked at FA fact on brachial plexus injuries while learning about brachial plexus and its injuries in Anatomy).

You should focus on everything in class, save MS2 for worrying about what's high yield and what's not high yield. When you get to MS2 and start going through First Aid then you can decipher what factoids you want to keep up and which from MS1 you want to forget.

But, for right now, focus on your class and its syllabus/objectives.
Ok thanks cool advice

Lippy's was the way to go for Biochem. I learned really quickly that First Aid is absolutely useless for class. My school taught from Lippincott's (i.e. its detailed enough for a medical school course). Now after Biochem is over, I am using Firecracker (just banked the entire course). When I review down the road I will prob use First Aid etc. but you need a strong knowledge base for that.

Didn't read the whole thing but I can tell you now whatever the problem is your first mistake is going to class in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Didn't read the whole thing but I can tell you now whatever the problem is your first mistake is going to class in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Truth

I'm in the OP's class and have to disagree. The pre-study is mostly basic concepts and things that we should easily grasp on our own. Lectures sometimes glance over the details of our pre-study, as well as go into further detail on more advanced topics. I actually really enjoy the structure of the curriculum and think that it does a good job at facilitating long-term memory. I work hard and try to make the best grades that I can, but if you wanted to have a life then you could easily slack off and make B's and C's. It just comes down to priorities and whether you want to perform well in medical school or have a social life. Oh, I also do a lot of podcasting. Attending classes in-person takes up too much time when you can 2x speed online. There are only a few classes that are mandatory anyways.