Question on hours per week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carn311

Dead tired.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just trying to get a sense of the hour requirement of the different specialties.

How many hours per week do you folks work during residency?

How many hours do you think you'll be working after residency?

This is a very important question for both myself and my wife as I go forward into a career in medicine so I'd appreciate any input you guys may have.

Members don't see this ad.

The work week of all residencies is theoretically capped now at 80 hours per week. When EM residents are off-service (on other department's rotations), we work whatever hours are typical for those services.

On our ED months, which make up the majority of our residency, it varies by program. At my program, we averaged about 50 hours per week as interns, and a little less for each following year.

As a practicing physician, an EP largely decides how much to work depending on what financial needs and lifestyle desires are optimal. Myself, I do somewhere between 30-35 hours per week on average.

We work 18 12 hour shifts per 28 days as an intern in the ED, 16-17 as a second year and 16-18 8 hour shifts as seniors.
On off services depends on the service.

When I get out I tend to work 25-30 hours a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
roja said:
We work 18 12 hour shifts per 28 days as an intern in the ED, 16-17 as a second year and 16-18 8 hour shifts as seniors.
On off services depends on the service.

When I get out I tend to work 25-30 hours a week.

Nine hours per week in the ED. 40-50 per week in the lab but as my wife says, the lab is just an expensive hobby.

During residency we did about 48 hours per week in the ED when on ED months and a whole lot more when in the SICU (This was pre 80 hour work week) We also had an addtitional 4-6 hours of educational time per week

But how many hours per week would you say one would work as a practicing ED physician. And what are the shifts like? Days? Nights? 12hr? 24hr?

Sorry for the stupidity of my questions but they are really relevant to me and I dont know where else to get answers.

Thanks guys...

carn311 said:
But how many hours per week would you say one would work as a practicing ED physician.
One would work as much as one wanted. It's largely up to you.
And what are the shifts like? Days?
Yes
Yes.
Probably
Possibly, depending on the place. I just got back from a 48 hour shift in a quiet, rural setting. Now I'm off to my 12 hour in an busy urban ER.

Do a search for similar questions. There are some good threads on the topic. I've posted in most of them.