Question on lab selection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExcitatorySynapse

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am an incoming first year MD/PhD student. I need to select a lab for a summer rotation. I am bit confused about where to go with this. My background is basically in clinical neuroscience; I've worked on related topics for roughly the last 7 years. I am fairly keen on this area. During my gap year, I have been doing more bioinformatics work and I really like it; I would much prefer to do a 'dry PhD' focusing on transcriptomic analysis, biomarker detection etc. as much as possible.

From a clinical perspective, I am really drawn to neurology. However, there are not many labs doing the type of clinical neuroscience I have experience in where I am headed. Hence, I guess my question is, should I prioritize labs that do work most similar to my research interests? Or is previous record of graduating students that publish and match well within reasonable time frames who use the techniques that interest me more important? I've always heard that you should match your research to your clinical interests as much as possible, but how much "spin" is tolerated? I.e. Would more psychiatry focused research be deleterious if you want to match neuro?

Thank you so much for your time and help!

Members don't see this ad.

Seek the best mentor (funding, graduates, manuscripts) that you find in neuroscience at your institution as long as their research excites you. You are always be able to change and pivot to a new areas within brain sciences.

Reactions: 1 users
Seek the best mentor (funding, graduates, manuscripts) that you find in neuroscience at your institution as long as their research excites you. You are always be able to change and pivot to a new areas within brain sciences.
Sounds like a plan, thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also critically important is that your personality fits w/ the mentor/lab. This includes being able to communicate effectively, deal w/ the PI’s quirks, etc.

The other metrics @Fencer mentioned are important but if you’re miserable you’ll find a difficult 4-6 yrs near impossible to finish.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you @sluox and @eteshoe I will take your advice in mind and just go for the lab where I can get the best training without having an aneurysm from fighting with the PI. :p

Reactions: 1 users
There are lots of threads on this. Basically, choose the best PI with the lab with the happiest students whose mentorship style jives with yours.

Reactions: 1 user