Question on LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2BAdentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I worked in a research lab at one of the top medical schools in the country for over 5 years. The problem is I do not work there anymore. I took a leave of absence to finish my M.S. but did not return to my job because I needed more time to complete my M.S. My question is: if I want to get an LOR from the Principal Investigator, how would I go about explaining him that I could not return to my job but I want an LOR. Would you think that he would give me a great LOR? I left in good standing but I just did not return to the position. I think one thing is that he may like that I worked for over 5 years since a lot of people just leave or switch to other jobs in 1 or 2 years and as long as he does not speculate that I found another job or a better opportunity which is not the case. I know that employers are reluctant to help past employees if they find out you found another job but if it is going back to school then I personally dont think it should be an issue. All responses will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

i think you should be fine. if they ask, then just tell them the truth.

I think it depends on how hard you worked while you were there and what kind of relationship you had with PI. Several years ago, I was in a similar situation and was able to get a LOR (probably a good one). If you believe that you worked very hard for those 5 years and PI knows it, you should have no problem.