1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Question on LOR

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by 2BAdentist, May 11, 2008.

1. 2BAdentist

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I worked in a research lab at one of the top medical schools in the country for over 5 years. The problem is I do not work there anymore. I took a leave of absence to finish my M.S. but did not return to my job because I needed more time to complete my M.S. My question is: if I want to get an LOR from the Principal Investigator, how would I go about explaining him that I could not return to my job but I want an LOR. Would you think that he would give me a great LOR? I left in good standing but I just did not return to the position. I think one thing is that he may like that I worked for over 5 years since a lot of people just leave or switch to other jobs in 1 or 2 years and as long as he does not speculate that I found another job or a better opportunity which is not the case. I know that employers are reluctant to help past employees if they find out you found another job but if it is going back to school then I personally dont think it should be an issue. All responses will be appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ummjoey

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i think you should be fine. if they ask, then just tell them the truth.

4. Bruinlove

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think it depends on how hard you worked while you were there and what kind of relationship you had with PI. Several years ago, I was in a similar situation and was able to get a LOR (probably a good one). If you believe that you worked very hard for those 5 years and PI knows it, you should have no problem.