question on nursing...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CV2MD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I would greatly appreciate some feedback...Thank you in advance...
Im currently in a Community College taking my pre-Req's for Nursing school. I do want to attend Med School in the future, but time and $ do not allow that for right now...So here is my question, Ive recently found some programs for LPN about a year long, but they arent 'well-known'. I could easily be accepted into this program quite earlier then the full 2 year RN program @ my CC right now. If I do LPN I will then go to finish my RN then my BSN. (After that I will start my pre Req's for Med School.)

Will it look bad if I did this process?
(my opinion: I dont think it will considering a Lpn&Rn is a LPN, RN wherever you go...The point is I finished my 'BSN' from a 4 year university, & I will take Med-School Pre-Reqs @ the same 4 university.)

I just have my doubts of attending this Not known LPN school. The RN school is a better known college, and the 4 year university where I will finish my BSN is a well known university.

HELP!!

Confusing post, but thats the best I could put it...:(

Thanks,
CV

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to go to med school, why are you going to nursing school first? Wouldn't it just be easier (and cheaper) to go straight to med school? Or do you want to go to nursing school so you can possibly work as a nurse prn for extra $$ while you go to med school?

I'm with fab4fan on this one (we agree ;) ). If you are set on medical school, I would skip the whole nursing thing and hit the pre-reqs unless you have some really compelling reason to do otherwise. It will take more time, more money, and really won't help you much. Also, as a former RN now finishing med school, I can tell you that it usually isn't practical to work while in med school; it's too demanding and generally not worth it. I did work some my first two years but I decided it would be better just to borrow a little more and use the time to either study or relax.

Also, I've known many nurses, paramedics, RTs that planned on getting XYZ training/degree and then go to medical school later. They work for a while, get used to the income, get a little complacent and wind up not going back to school. Most of the people like this that I know really regret not going back to medical school. Take it from me, its a lot easier staying a student than starting over again.

If I could do it over again, I would live as cheap as I could, bust my butt to find scholarships, grants and/or loans and go straight through and get whatever bachelors degree that interested me while completing my pre-reqs and go straight into medical school. BTW, there's a virtual limitless amount of financial aid available once you get into to medical school; that should be no concern.

Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto what Sinnman said.

Thank you all for your input...The problem is that I HAVE to work right now, so there isnt much of a choice, Id rather work get my RN & at least have something to fall back on... I've had a rough couple of years, considering Ive had to stop going to school a couple of times, and other times I could just take 2 or 3 classes because I had to take care of my family. Im only 21 so Im not too worried...Anyways, I understand where you're coming from, I also know many people that say they will return to school & never go back...Im certain I want to be a doctor. Im fortunate to live in a state with so many schools...=) Im just worried that this whole process will diminish my chances...But after reading more posts on SDN Ive realized that I have to do what I HAVE to do, if becoming a RN is what I have to do at this moment, so be it. I will do it, regardless of what school I have to go to for RN.

When I finish my RN, and get my BSN is it better to get a Post-Bacc for my Pre-Req's? (Isnt it better to just get a graduate degree instead??)
Im confused on the whole Post-Bacc thing, and what other options I have...

Thank you all for all your help! You guys are awesome!

CV

If that's the path you want to take, most nursing programs require some chem and bio - just take the ones that qualify for pre-reqs while preparing for nursing school, then you can kill 2 birds with one stone.

I think the OP is being practical so he or she can fall back on being an RN instead of investing 100% into medicine.

Good idea

I think the OP is being practical so he or she can fall back on being an RN instead of investing 100% into medicine.

Good idea

Yeah, it's probably not the worst idea ever to get your degree in nursing. However, have you considered a career as a NP? That way you could have a little more autonomy than an RN and still avoid the entire hassle (and saying that applying to med school and getting through med school and residency is a "hassle" is understatement of the decade) of the whole MD/DO thing. May not be a bad idea, especially if you have a family to consider.