Question on Shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mestizo212

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im switching back and forth between being a doctor or dentist. do i shadow both a doctor and dentist just in case i switch my mind? and if i shadow a doctor would dental schools consider that helpful or no?

im not sure how to say it exactly but does anyone know what i mean?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say shadow both right now, not with the intention of impressing potential graduate schools but with the intention of finding out which path interests you more. You need to make a decision eventually and the earlier you get in to see what the profession is all about the earlier you can choose and then you can focus on just one area.

I shadowed both. I volunteered at a dental clinic and in the operating room at a hospital. I also shadowed a dentist, oral surgeon, and orthopedist. I volunteered in the OR more than at the dental clinic. But i still chose dentistry, and will be starting in a few weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
By shadowing both and then deciding on one you're showing that school that you looked at all the options before choosing one. As long as after you choose one you stay dedicated to it and get involved in more ec's you should be fine. Best of luck.

To those who've volunteered in a medical setting: Did you include this in your application? I ask because I used to be pre-med and have logged quite a bit of hours at different clinics. Wondering how adcoms would view this?

To those who've volunteered in a medical setting: Did you include this in your application? I ask because I used to be pre-med and have logged quite a bit of hours at different clinics. Wondering how adcoms would view this?

I included mine. Sometimes exposure to the health care field shows you have a desire for it.

to volunteer in the operating room or anything that's hands on...do u need experience or take classes to do that?