D
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Gettings,
We have a patient who gets Phentermine 37.5 mg BID # 60 each month.
My question is, is 75 mg/ day justified? I can’t find it anywhere in package insert to go above 37.5 mg (although we have some other folks on 1.5 tab of 37.5 mg qd).
Thanks
If a patient is particularly heavy, I guess I can understand the theory behind put them on such a high dose. I’ve personally never done it but I hate Phentermine anyway.
How long has this patient been taking this dose?
D
deleted885753
If a patient is particularly heavy, I guess I can understand the theory behind put them on such a high dose. I’ve personally never done it but I hate Phentermine anyway.
How long has this patient been taking this dose?
Been on it for a year per PDMP. Nothing showing up prior to that.
They don’t “look” heavy. It’s from the doctor who owns weight loss clinic and even sells phentermine to his patient.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would not keep them on it for a whole year or increase past what is recommended. Side effects are dose dependent. If a pt has a heart attack, I would think you’re liable if you’re going way past what is recommended.
Pulling a patient off of double dose Adipex that someone else screwed her up with…. This won’t be fun for you. Stimulant cardiomyopathy is real.
I personally have not had much success with that med long term. I usually more describe it as something that can help a new diet change with the hope that change will be easier and help habitual change. Usually I have patients taper or stop after 3-6 months.
I also require RN wt checks every 3-4 months as an opportunity to quickly discuss dosing and review adverse effects.
Wegovy / Trulicity / Ozempic is way better.
I also require RN wt checks every 3-4 months as an opportunity to quickly discuss dosing and review adverse effects.
Wegovy / Trulicity / Ozempic is way better.
HUGE red flagBeen on it for a year per PDMP. Nothing showing up prior to that.
They don’t “look” heavy. It’s from the doctor who owns weight loss clinic and even sells phentermine to his patient.
I would not prescribe it , its a band aid approach to weight loss
I tell most of my patients , weight loss involves lot of discipline , doing things you don't enjoy and eating food that don't particularly taste that great
If they come for me for stimulants I almost ALWAYS refuse
I think it definitely has its place and I’ve seen success with pts maintaining a lower weight when they complete treatment but it’s not enough where I could call it a wonder drug.HUGE red flag
I would not prescribe it , its a band aid approach to weight loss
I tell most of my patients , weight loss involves lot of discipline , doing things you don't enjoy and eating food that don't particularly taste that great
If they come for me for stimulants I almost ALWAYS refuse
I've never prescribed that high and wouldn't do it.
I don't prescribe phentermine but certainly am very familiar with prescribing stimulants and have a number of patients with PCPs who have started them on it. So far I see a very similar pattern as one does with stimulant prescribing for other purposes - a honeymoon period of feeling great about everything and barely eating, and a gradual fading of the subjective sense of well-being and gradual increase in food intake. Much like stimulant prescribing for other purposes, getting patient buy-in for a ruthless focus on measurable, external metrics of success that do not in any way depend on how someone feels like they are doing + deliberate strategies for maximizing benefit and identifying trouble areas seems necessary. I get how this is going to be difficult for a lot of y'all to implement on the regular all the time as it involves getting pretty far into the weeds.
It's not that hard. If I put you on a weight loss medication and after 2/3 months at a solid dose You have t lost weight then I stop prescribing it.I don't prescribe phentermine but certainly am very familiar with prescribing stimulants and have a number of patients with PCPs who have started them on it. So far I see a very similar pattern as one does with stimulant prescribing for other purposes - a honeymoon period of feeling great about everything and barely eating, and a gradual fading of the subjective sense of well-being and gradual increase in food intake. Much like stimulant prescribing for other purposes, getting patient buy-in for a ruthless focus on measurable, external metrics of success that do not in any way depend on how someone feels like they are doing + deliberate strategies for maximizing benefit and identifying trouble areas seems necessary. I get how this is going to be difficult for a lot of y'all to implement on the regular all the time as it involves getting pretty far into the weeds.
I meant in terms of making meaningful dietary changes etc but yes that is also reasonable.It's not that hard. If I put you on a weight loss medication and after 2/3 months at a solid dose You have t lost weight then I stop prescribing it.
If they actually want, I will absolutely do a deep dive into nutrition and exercise.I meant in terms of making meaningful dietary changes etc but yes that is also reasonable.
It's pretty rare that patients both want that and their eyes don't glaze over when I try.
They're probably deferring it.
It's only approved (for what that's worth) for 3 months. And studies show most weight loss is in the first few months, with diminishing returns being minimal between 6-9 months.
A year? Uh, no.
It's only approved (for what that's worth) for 3 months. And studies show most weight loss is in the first few months, with diminishing returns being minimal between 6-9 months.
A year? Uh, no.
I never do phentermine. If med is needed, GLP-1 or referral to weight loss center to review and manage phentermine if deemed appropriate.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 15
- Views
- 9K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K