Question please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cyrick21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. New to the forum because I just searched for information on forums dealing with pre-med, so this might be in the wrong section, sorry if it is. Im just starting my college years in the pre-med program. Wanting to enter the field of Anesthesiology after everything. I am in the process of choosing my major now and wanted to see if anyone could help me out in doing so. Im pretty sure it would prob. be between Biology, Chemistry, and Biochem. Just want to choose the one that would be best for me in the knowledge and getting into med school. Thank you for any info I can get.

Members don't see this ad.

If you were smart, blow off the Biology, Chemistry, Biochem majors-- absolutely worthless majors. Go 1-2 more years and get that Pharm Doc. degree-- that's the real cat's meow. ---Zippy

Truth be told, I got a Biochem degree from Tulane Univ. and summer before med school got a job isolating reverse transcriptase from avian myeloblastosis virus. I was paid 8 bucks/ hour. I lasted 2 months and then got a job in the construction field making 12 bucks/hour. So much for higher education... ---Zippy

Members don't see this ad :)
Cyrick21 said:
Hi there. New to the forum because I just searched for information on forums dealing with pre-med, so this might be in the wrong section, sorry if it is. Im just starting my college years in the pre-med program. Wanting to enter the field of Anesthesiology after everything. I am in the process of choosing my major now and wanted to see if anyone could help me out in doing so. Im pretty sure it would prob. be between Biology, Chemistry, and Biochem. Just want to choose the one that would be best for me in the knowledge and getting into med school. Thank you for any info I can get.

I'm not an anesthesiologist (In transition between MS2/MS3) but I completely agree with the advice given by Zippy. Biology, Chemistry and Biochem are completely worthless majors unless you want to do a PhD in those fields. They teach you Nothing in terms of what you need to know for med school or to become a good physician. Many times these are tough classes that will also screw up your GPA (example: I have yet to see a clinician use physical chemistry to do his/her job well). If I could do it again (Oh, how I wish), I would take only the pre-med science requirements. If I wanted an edge in the sciences then I would major in excercise and movement science. The anatomy, physiology, etc. that you will learn in this major will help you a lot more in med school and as a physician than the molecular biology crap they teach you in the hard core sciences. Another option would be to major in a non-science degree, like business, pscyhology, or something you just like such as history in my case. This will help boost you GPA, teach you more about the world you live in, and perhaps open up other opportunities if medicine doesn't work out. It may help you in verbal reasoning as well. If you go this route try to take anatomy and physio on the side, they will help you in med school. Study hard, be focused, choose your courses wisely and you'll be in med school before you know it. Good luck.

MD Dreams said:
I'm not an anesthesiologist (In transition between MS2/MS3) but I completely agree with the advice given by Zippy. Biology, Chemistry and Biochem are completely worthless majors unless you want to do a PhD in those fields. They teach you Nothing in terms of what you need to know for med school or to become a good physician. Many times these are tough classes that will also screw up your GPA (example: I have yet to see a clinician use physical chemistry to do his/her job well). If I could do it again (Oh, how I wish), I would take only the pre-med science requirements. If I wanted an edge in the sciences then I would major in excercise and movement science. The anatomy, physiology, etc. that you will learn in this major will help you a lot more in med school and as a physician than the molecular biology crap they teach you in the hard core sciences. Another option would be to major in a non-science degree, like business, pscyhology, or something you just like such as history in my case. This will help boost you GPA, teach you more about the world you live in, and perhaps open up other opportunities if medicine doesn't work out. It may help you in verbal reasoning as well. If you go this route try to take anatomy and physio on the side, they will help you in med school. Study hard, be focused, choose your courses wisely and you'll be in med school before you know it. Good luck.

I completely agree with the above posters. If I had to do it all over again I wouldve majored in some non-science area and just fulfilled the pre-med requirements. I'm the picture of not-well-rounded.

Ditto the above. A doc I shadowed while in college (who was a music major in undergrad) gave me this advice: take an eclectic classload during the first two terms of undergrad, and major in whatever you like best.

I did this, had an awesome time in undergrad, and smoked the verbal part of the MCAT. Have fun, and think long and hard about wether this is something you REALLY want.

Best of luck!

Willamette

Cyrick21 said:

Listen dude.. i dont know what these guys are telling you .. but if you wanna do well in medschool i strenuously suggest you major in either biology chemistry or even better.. do a double major.. thats really the only option

forget doing well im med school if you wanna be a good anesthesiologists you have to know your reactions cold.. and how are you gonna do that if you dont major in either biology or chemistry or even better.. both

It always goes back to coin... Ain't no coin with a BS degree in any major. 6 figure coin awaits you with that Pharm D degree. Nice to work a few shifts at that Walgreens down the street while you're in med school and residency. Your decision, chief... ----Zippy

Justin4563 said:
Listen dude.. i dont know what these guys are telling you .. but if you wanna do well in medschool i strenuously suggest you major in either biology chemistry or even better.. do a double major.. thats really the only option

This is utter drivel. You in NO WAY need to be a science major in order to do well in medical school. Do what you dig in undergrad. Period.

Willamette

Yeah - ditto what this guy said:

MD Dreams said:

I majored in Occupational Therapy, with a minor in Spanish, and just met the bare essential premed stuff. All that "know the healthcare climate"/volunteer stuff that medical schools want I did for years, but got paid to do so. Nice gig. And the medical schools seemed to like it too. Good luck with what ever you decide.

dc

Wow, I didnt expect to get this much help. Thanks alot for all the advice. I just want to make the best decision and make sure I get into med school. So it really doesnt matter if you major in a science or not. Does it look better to them to do so. Or do they really just care about the basic courses they require, good GPA, and scores on the MCAT? Because I would think if I was to major in anything else than a science major such as Bio or Chem then it would be something like engineering. But like I said before I just want to make sure I get into med school. Again thanks for all the info, and keep it coming if you want.

You need to do well at whatever you do. So...choose something that you are passionate about and that you feel you will want to work hard at. If that's bio, go for it. If it's music, go for it. Be sure to do your pre-reqs WELL (ie good grades) and do well on that MCAT, and you'll be just fine.

Remember, and you said it well yourself, you just wanna make sure you get in to a medical school. If you major in Biochem, you'll still be sitting in a biochem class your first year of medical school. You will indeed have a leg up on some of the others, but they (and you) still have to learn the same material for the tests.

Have fun, and do well.

dc