Question/Problem w/Post Pads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TysonCook

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Before you flame me let me start by saying that this is a question, not a criticism... :)

While I enjoy the occasional "post pad", I can't help but start to think that it may not only be pointless, but also might be one of the reasons that SDN is always crashed/down/slow.

Analogous to a person walking through a library and pulling books off of shelves, adding in advertisements willi-nilli, and then reshelving them...dilution of info if you will and a need for increased space/$.

If a search function has to muddle through 100,000 posts w/50% being rubbish, is it going to be slower than one searching through 50,000 relavent posts???....this applies to backup of the servers as well (takes longer to backup as well as more space = $$$ and crashes) :confused: .

Like I said, not a criticism, just an observation.

Please discuss... :)

Members don't see this ad.

TysonCook said:
Hello,
Before you flame me let me start by saying that this is a question, not a criticism... :)

While I enjoy the occasional "post pad", I can't help but start to think that it may not only be pointless, but also might be one of the reasons that SDN is always crashed/down/slow.

Analogous to a person walking through a library and pulling books off of shelves, adding in advertisements willi-nilli, and then reshelving them...dilution of info if you will and a need for increased space/$.

If a search function has to muddle through 100,000 posts w/50% being rubbish, is it going to be slower than one searching through 50,000 relavent posts???....this applies to backup of the servers as well (takes longer to backup as well as more space = $$$ and crashes) :confused: .

Like I said, not a criticism, just an observation.

Please discuss... :)

I agree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh, probably. But if you read the pre-allo board, they are far more guilty of repetition than we are :).

Plus I bet the lounge is still on the same server. We are a drop in the bucket in comparison. I think the problem is that the whole thing is hosted on an old 386 machine hooked to the net via a 1200 baud modem with Lee constantly shuffling in floppies when someone requests an old page :D

ERMudPhud said:
Plus I bet the lounge is still on the same server. We are a drop in the bucket in comparison. I think the problem is that the whole thing is hosted on an old 386 machine hooked to the net via a 1200 baud modem with Lee constantly shuffling in floppies when someone requests an old page :D

Oh? You think it's as good as a 386? I figured it would be an old Tandy 64K color computer with the old 5 1/4" floppy drive and cartridge :)

jd

DeLaughterDO said:
Oh? You think it's as good as a 386? I figured it would be an old Tandy 64K color computer with the old 5 1/4" floppy drive and cartridge :)

jd
Nah, you guys are both wrong. The last outage was so that they could order in the right vacuum tube.

Seriously I'd like to see SDN be able to keep up with the increased traffic because I do think it can be a good resource. I've been buying all my books and other Amazon stuff by linking to it through SDN. I haven't donated directly because it's only through paypal and I don't use paypal.

This definitely is a problem. I for one will stop posting unless its something substantive immediately.

Seaglass said:
This definitely is a problem. I for one will stop posting unless its something substantive immediately.
Yeah me too :)

As long as my whining counts as "substantive" I'm in.

I'm glad that everyone else also sees the importance of limiting superfluous padding.

Seaglass said:
I'm glad that everyone else also sees the importance of limiting superfluous padding.

Especially when you are in high school, it could fall out while you are on the dance floor :p.

Sorry, that was awfully unfunny. But I'm avoiding studying/planning for tomorrow.

yeah but I think most of the postpadding is limited to a few threads, most threads are pretty informative (except the beat path thread).

JackBauERfan said:
yeah but I think most of the postpadding is limited to a few threads, most threads are pretty informative (except the beat path thread).
And this one