Quantcast

Question re application review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorMom78

Sky Glory
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Okay, I have a question. I have been complete at several school for about two months now. When I check on my application status, I am told that my application is still under review and a decision has not been made yet. Does that mean that there is a possibility that they are considering me or are they just really that slow? The reason I ask is because there are schools (LECOM and Upstate) that rejected me within a week of receiving my completed application. Their "review" was almost instantaneous. (The issue with LECOM was that I had not taken my organic chemistry prior to applying and the issue with Upstate is that my stats suck.) My stats are below the mean at a lot of the other schools, but even at some of the ones where they aren't, I have been complete forever too. I just don't understand why some schools take so long to look at my application and others hardly took any time at all. This process is so weird. I don't think that there is any rhyme or reason to it. Does it mean something or does it mean nothing and they are just slow? This is very frustrating! I need to send my deposit to DCOM in about a month and I haven't heard from a bunch of schools yet. I am very happy with DCOM, but I would have liked to have had a response from the other schools before coughing up $2000.:D Input greatly appreciated!

jkhamlin

Joe Cool Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you don't get a rejection right away after your application is reviewed, no news is good news. You might get interviewed eventually. You are right, the process is weird and frustrating. I take it to mean that you have an acceptance at DCOM; have you sent a letter to the other schools explaining that you have an acceptance, but would still like a chance to consider their school before you decide?

DoctorMom78

Sky Glory
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you don't get a rejection right away after your application is reviewed, no news is good news. You might get interviewed eventually. You are right, the process is weird and frustrating. I take it to mean that you have an acceptance at DCOM; have you sent a letter to the other schools explaining that you have an acceptance, but would still like a chance to consider their school before you decide?

Yes, I have an acceptance at DCOM. It is one of my top choices, so I am REALLY happy about it. However, I wanted to compare a few schools if I had the opportunity to. Should I send a letter to the other schools? Is that appropriate? Thanks so much!

jkhamlin

Joe Cool Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have an acceptance at DCOM. It is one of my top choices, so I am REALLY happy about it. However, I wanted to compare a few schools if I had the opportunity to. Should I send a letter to the other schools? Is that appropriate? Thanks so much!

I think most, if not all, of those schools would encourage you to send a letter if you are still strongly considering them. They don't want to waste your time or theirs, but if you already have an acceptance and you are considering them, you are apparently a serious applicant and they like that. I would send a formal, diplomatically worded letter via snail mail to them stating just the facts of the situation, and then your desire to seriously consider them over your acceptance elsewhere. Then explain to them what you like about them and why you think you could be a good fit there. If you have visited there before, now is the time to remind them of that. You might even enclose a copy of your acceptance letter to let them know you are being honest.

I did that with OSU about a month or so ago. Unfortunately, my file wasn't complete with them until last week, but they said I should send the letter.

DoctorMom78

Sky Glory
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think most, if not all, of those schools would encourage you to send a letter if you are still strongly considering them. They don't want to waste your time or theirs, but if you already have an acceptance and you are considering them, you are apparently a serious applicant and they like that. I would send a formal, diplomatically worded letter via snail mail to them stating just the facts of the situation, and then your desire to seriously consider them over your acceptance elsewhere. Then explain to them what you like about them and why you think you could be a good fit there. If you have visited there before, now is the time to remind them of that. You might even enclose a copy of your acceptance letter to let them know you are being honest.

I did that with OSU about a month or so ago. Unfortunately, my file wasn't complete with them until last week, but they said I should send the letter.

Okay, sounds like good advice. Do you really think I should send a copy of my acceptance letter, or will they take me on my word? I suppose the worst they can do is reject me, and that wouldn't be the end of the world because I have the DCOM acceptance which I am very excited about. Thanks so much for the AWESOME advice! :luck: