Question re: NIH R21

Started by Treg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Treg

Surgeon in training
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I write an NIH R21 proposal with my post-doc supervisor, will I be a co-investigator? Just curious.

🙂 Treg
 
Treg said:
If I write an NIH R21 proposal with my post-doc supervisor, will I be a co-investigator? Just curious.

🙂 Treg

I believe the R21 is the high risk NIH grant proposal. These usually last I think for three years if I'm not mistaken. I don't think you will be listed as a co-PI not as a post-doc I don't think but you should ask your supervisor in any case. Besides if it is an R21 grant that you're helping write then most likely there is funding allocated within the grant for post-doc positions. Usually the PIs and co-PIs are individuals with permanent faculty positions and occasionally senior research staff members. But for anyone else out there who may or may not more about this feel free to enlighten me.