Question Regarding Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.TurkandJD

One Dream
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I am an MS2 and its time to start thinking about boards. I had a few questions that I was hoping for your input. I had problems with MCAT's, I took it twice and managed a mid-20's score. I do not like standardized exams, and want to see what is my best plan of attack for USMLE/Comlex.

A lot of my classmates are starting to study for boards during this summer, however the class ahead of us almost unanimously says not to worry about it until school starts and to start studying hard-core during Winter break, what is SDN's opinion on it?

As far as material, do you guys recommend Fire Cracker? I am assuming you all used First Aid + Green OMT review book, is that enough?

A friend of mine recommended two books, "USMLE Step 1 Secrets" and "Crush Step 1: The Ultimate USMLE Step 1 Review" did anyone use either of these?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't waste the summer studying. For step 1: first aid/uworld/pathoma. Some people like firecracker, others don't. I tried flashcards, didn't like it. Bought step 1 secrets, didn't use it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am, just wanted other peoples opinions. Plus, I wanted opinions of people who struggled with MCATs.

I would disagree...if you are an avg student buy UWorld and do questions as you go along in class. Force yourself. I would say 23 questions each week is good enough. You are not wasting questions and their explanations will really help you learn the material. I wish I would have done that all throughout MS2

Take the advice how you like but I would NOT listen to anybody saying don't worry about the boards until winter break b/c that turns into spring break then that turns into oh well i guess there is dedicated study period time. This doesn't mean freak out all year about the boards but just annotate FA and do questions as you go along.

Another thing is to do pathoma throughout the year as well. If you are on break and don't care to start it now, I would go ahead and do whatever your first few classes are in pathoma. Repetition never hurts

At the end of the day Pathoma/UWorld/FA is all you need...you can throw in USMLERx if you don't want to use UWorld but just do what you think will prepare you the most based on how you feel you learn material

It's not about wasting questions, it's the fact that the questions are most useful after you've been through the material. There's no point in a first year doing any first year review because a significant portion of the test is path and pathophys so it's a waste to do questions during the summer. I did about 1/3 of Rx as we went through organ systems and I thought that was fine. I think I paid 150 for a year subscription but a classmate got a group discount for 100. Pathoma during the year is good but during the summer is a waste of time. Retention will be low and your time can be better spent elsewhere, like the beach.

I am a high 20's MCAT person. If I had the time, I would have gone over FA with class and then do some Rx questions to help make sure I got it.

I did do Pathoma most of the time with classes and I definitely think this is key. It helps with classes too.

I say all you need is FA/Pathoma/UW. And about 4-6 weeks.

But it would be good if you could get a pass of FA in and some questions in M2 yr. I did not have or make the time and wish I had. I got some in but not near what I wanted.

I am a high 20's MCAT person. If I had the time, I would have gone over FA with class and then do some Rx questions to help make sure I got it.

I did do Pathoma most of the time with classes and I definitely think this is key. It helps with classes too.

I say all you need is FA/Pathoma/UW. And about 4-6 weeks.

But it would be good if you could get a pass of FA in and some questions in M2 yr. I did not have or make the time and wish I had. I got some in but not near what I wanted.

agree with above. If you were to do any (none is truly necessary) - go over material from the systems you covered during M1 (assuming you have a system-based curriculum, otherwise I would advise against this) in FA and add on some USMLERx questions. Basically, just review material you've covered already, don't try to learn new material.