Question regarding early application.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshu718

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
People have been telling me that I should apply to dental school immediately after the online application becomes avaliable. My Pre-med/dental advisor said that I still have plenty of time. It has been almost a month since the the online application became avaliable and all I've done is fill out my basic personal information. If I will be finished with the application by the end of this month are my chances for admission less than someones who submitted an aplication after the first week it became avaliable? I heard that the earlier you apply the better your chances, how true is that? BTW I plan on entering dental school in Fall 2008.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, a lot of people on SDN say it is best to apply ASAP, meaning right when the cycle opens. However, applying at the end of this month is not considered "late", it is still early. Also- it is hard to ask your chances of getting in if you apply in June b/c there are several factors. If you have a really HIGH GPA and HIGH DAT, I think you could probably get away with applying later than June. But most people would want to apply as soon as they could:)

As for me, I am applying third week in June b/c I am waiting for spring term grades to be posted ( my school runs on a quarter system)

Your chances are exactly -23.4562% of getting in with a standard deviation of 4.632. I mean cmon think about it. How is anyone going to know what are your chances. GPA, DAT, EC, LOR, School Choice, Race, Luck, timing, admission committee, interview, etc all play into it. too many factors. use common sense dude.

Members don't see this ad :)
how come its taking you so long to fill out the application? if you are just going to delay your application because you are too lazy to fill it out then its not a very good reason to delay it. if you are waiting for loe/transcrips/dat you can submit while waiting for those. i dont see any reason for you to delay your application unless you have other responsibilites like family then you really have no choice so you have to submit it late.

i submitted mine earlier for a few reason. just to get it out of the way and just to be safe.

how come its taking you so long to fill out the application? if you are just going to delay your application because you are too lazy to fill it out then its not a very good reason to delay it. if you are waiting for loe/transcrips/dat you can submit while waiting for those. i dont see any reason for you to delay your application unless you have other responsibilites like family then you really have no choice so you have to submit it late.

i submitted mine earlier for a few reason. just to get it out of the way and just to be safe.

agreed. :cool:

Careful about waiting on spring quarter grades though. I was thinking about the same thing, but have found out that spring quarter grades won't be ready until late June, and then it takes additional 2 weeks for it to actually show up on the transcript.

Thanks for all your replies. I have a lot going on right now and need a job ASAP. On top of that I haven't got around to doing my volunteer work and shadowing, which I must start this summer.

ChronarchB, I was basically asking it my chances are significantly reduced.